Super Contributor

Emergency Test on Qz This Morning?

I've never seen one of those emergency tests on Q before, but the screen blacked out about 3:15 a.m. this morning and the message scrolled. That was really strange to see it on a shopping channel. Yes, another sleepless night.

Anyway, it reminded me, and I posted in another forum, that we should make sure we have some emergency food, water and supplies stores in our homes. Having your basic needs at hand is part of basic health, so I post here as a friendly reminder. Smiley Happy Bird

Honored Contributor

Re: Emergency Test on Qz This Morning?

I've always kept a couple gallons of water around since we live with a well and would have no water if we lose power. Several months ago I noticed a musty smell in my laundry room. It took me a couple days to realize the gallon bottle was leaching water into the pile of dirty laundry on the floor. My neighbor also had this happen in her pantry and she ruined some flour and cereal. These bottles biodegrade in the landfill. Unfortunately they don't say anything on the label.

Honored Contributor

ALL TV channels, including cable ones, have to run the emergency broadcast tests every month.

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 depglass said:

I've always kept a couple gallons of water around since we live with a well and would have no water if we lose power. Several months ago I noticed a musty smell in my laundry room. It took me a couple days to realize the gallon bottle was leaching water into the pile of dirty laundry on the floor. My neighbor also had this happen in her pantry and she ruined some flour and cereal. These bottles biodegrade in the landfill. Unfortunately they don't say anything on the label.

I too have learned the hard way that gallon jugs - the kind you buy water in - aren't the best because they develop pin-hole leaks after some time. Apparently it's not the highest grade of plastic - designed like you said to biodegrade. For storing water, it's better to use specially designed containers.