Trusted Contributor

Have you ever had a dream/nightmare but could swear you were awake when it was happening?

I just woke up after sleeping for only an hour, the last part of which I was having a terrible dream/nightmare that someone was in the house and playing games, like they'd turned off the fuse box so I couldn't turn on any lights in the room to investigate. I could swear I really tried to turn on the nightlight several times but it wouldn't go on! I was going to get up but was wrapped up in the covers, and they suddenly opened up by themselves! That last one must have done the trick and woke me up - really - because the nightlight did go on and here I am! I didn't have anything to eat before bed - really strange!
Super Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a dream/nightmare but could swear you were awake when it was happening?

I have not had a dream like you describe. But I do know that some medications cause weird dreams. Is this the only time you have had a strange dream? Check out the side effects of the medications you take.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a dream/nightmare but could swear you were awake when it was happening?

Oh, yes. I've had to convince myself for five minutes after waking that it wasn't real. I had been attacked in my apartment in college (someone broke in, not a good event, is all I will say) and for years thereafter, once in a while, I have this kind of dream--or an auditory dream of someone in the house.

Honored Contributor

I've had a dream/nightmare several times that someone was standing over me and I couldn't move. It seems very real. I haven't had it in a while though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have them often.....worse since I was put on some new meds...some are scary..(such as NickNack described) but most are not....just make you stop and think when you wake to make sure it was a dream...

Super Contributor

Yes! Certain medications made me have hallucinating nightmares. I was almost afraid to go to sleep whenever I took them. Awful.

Regular Contributor

Tylenol PM caused terrible nightmares in me.
Super Contributor

Yes, I dream that my purse is stolen and when I woke up I was really surprised that my bag is hanging on my closet. It was that real!

Esteemed Contributor

all dreams I thought I was awake:

When I was in HS I had a dream a guy climbed up a ladder, opened my bedroom window and said "You're not supposed to be awake" I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.

Twice I dreamed I was at our church and saw a jet go down.

Friday I dreamed there was a bad storm, yellow and green churning clouds and our huge maple was struck by lightening.

Respected Contributor

I have had a couple of dreams where I was trying to wake up and couldn't. I was trying to call out to my husband but couldn't get words out or move. It is a terrifying feeling. It is called sleep paralysis.