Respected Contributor

Roca Labs Non-Surgical Gastric Bypass Drink

I have a co-worker that is wanting to try this. It isn't cheap, around 200 a month for 3 month's worth and up. She only have to loose 30 pounds, a great deal less than I do. I feel she should just do a basic diabetic diet and exercise, as their diet plan requires you to eat within a 9 hour period (like Dr. Ozs 10 plan), drink at least 6-16oz bottles of water, exercise at least 30-60 minutes a day, avoid fried/fattening foods, sweets, breads, and all forms of sugar. She would loose her 30 pounds if she just did those things, but feels she should do the drink thing to keep her full. She really is hoping that if she just eats less, she'll loose the weight without exercise due to her surgery for a herniated disc last July. She could walk, but I don't see her doing that.

Have any of you done this diet/plan? What was the drink stuff like to eat? Did it affect your bowels since it is silica you are eating? (She doesn't have frequent bowels, probably once per week since she doesn't eat much fiber, veggies or fruits. Normal for me is 2-3, so I find this could seriously back her up.) Did you keep off the weight?

Thanks in advance for your help. I would hate for her to spend money she really doesn't have on this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roca Labs Non-Surgical Gastric Bypass Drink

I would guess that she is finding it easier to buy into some magic potion then do the work it takes make true lifestyle changes. Not sure it will help your relationship to interfere with her dreams. You know the saying about don't take away someone's song and don't make them sing it either.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Still Raining said:

I would guess that she is finding it easier to buy into some magic potion then do the work it takes make true lifestyle changes. Not sure it will help your relationship to interfere with her dreams. You know the saying about don't take away someone's song and don't make them sing it either.

WOW! This!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I just researched it since I'd never heard of it. The only good reviews were the ones on their site. You have to agree not to directly bad mouth the site before buying or you have to pay a higher price. Sounds like another diet scam.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Mmsfoxxie said: I just researched it since I'd never heard of it. The only good reviews were the ones on their site. You have to agree not to directly bad mouth the site before buying or you have to pay a higher price. Sounds like another diet scam.

I agree this looks like a scam. When I googled Complaints against Roca Labs, lots of good reviews came up. I would stay away from this. It doesn't sound healthy at all. Weight loss happens with a lifestyle change not from drinking some "cement"

Trusted Contributor

Your co-worker (presumably an adult) wants to lose 30 pounds and wants to try a diet drink to help her towards her goal.......but you feel she should do it your way. And now you're posting your friend's dilemma on a public bulletin board to bring more opinions into the discussion! My gosh; you're even tracking the woman's bowel movements!

Frankly, I think your weight loss plan is probably a better idea. I assume you have communicated this to your friend. Now it's time for you to leave this adult to make her decision. If the "magic shake" doesn't work, maybe she'll try your way next time. I think you're pushing too hard and need to respectfully back off.

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 GoodStuff said:

Your co-worker (presumably an adult) wants to lose 30 pounds and wants to try a diet drink to help her towards her goal.......but you feel she should do it your way. And now you're posting your friend's dilemma on a public bulletin board to bring more opinions into the discussion!

Frankly, I think your weight loss plan is probably a better idea. I assume you have communicated this to your friend. Now it's time for you to leave this adult to make her decision. If the "magic shake" doesn't work, maybe she'll try your way next time. I think you're pushing too hard and need to respectfully back off.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

The only thing she will lose is $200 a month. Why doesn't she find a weight loss menu that works? I'm thinking along the lines of oatmeal and berries for breakfast, yogurt and fruit for lunch, and a salad and lean cuisine meal in the evening.

Respected Contributor

You all do have a point about putting it all out there for others. But this board is full of people that have tons of experience in a great variety of things, so I felt someone here may have heard of this "diet" or know someone that has tried it. She is very, very open in discussing just about everything in her life, almost to perfect strangers, so knowing her bowel issues is known to just about everyone in our department, for the good and bad of it. She is just a very sharing person with her personal life. Soliciting other people's thoughts and opinions and knowledge on a subject is how people learn. This board is so full of knowledge, it would be foolish to over look it as a source to bounce ideas off of instead of just reading the companies site and trusting them.

She was talking about it with the others when I walked into work one morning this week, and she asked me about it. When she stated that it is sold as an alternative to gastric bypass, my first thought was that she didn't qualify for gastric bypass, so this would be way too extreme of a measure for her small amount she wants to loose. One of our other co-workers is an RN, and he pretty much told her that is was a bad idea, so I got to googling too! I found a flag on the BBB with a warning stating that the company was suing a customer for posting a bad review of them online. They flagged it stating that when you agree to their "special" pricing, you agree not to be negative in any way, shape or form of their product. This was a flag for me. When I finally got their site to come up, google didn't like their security setting for their website (imagine that), it read like you were "drinking/eating" this silica gel substance to fill your stomach, so you can't really eat that much to cut your calories. Then I read about all the other things you should be doing other than just taking their gel. That seemed like you would loose weight just by doing those things alone.

I know there are other items out there that are sold to "fill" your stomach to reduce what you can eat, but they aren't good forms of loosing weight and will result in weight loss but not keeping it off if you don't change your lifestyle. It isn't about doing it my way, which would be cutting her sugar, carbs and exercising. Those things would do wonders for her since she eats too much of those for a diabetic. She drinks plenty of water at work, so she is making progress there. I guess I'm just concerned about what seems like a scam and something that would probably be very unhealthy for you in the short and long run and wanted to know what others knew about it or thought about it. I'm also concerned that for someone that complains of not having extra money, she is going to toss quite a chunk of change at this for what she really can just do on her own with those changes all of you have suggested all over this board when it comes to quick diets. I know it is her problem and her money, but if we had more information on it, she could make a better rounded decision than what we were both able to google about it.

Thanks for your information and I welcome more. She isn't ready to push the button yet, but not being very good on internet searches, she asked me to see what I could find out about it, especially since their site doesn't have any substantial information from the flip side of the reviews. I'm the kind of person that likes to read a variety of reviews on things before I make a decision, especially on something this expensive.

As for the suggestions by AuntG, those sound like my normal meals. I love oatmeal!!! Your thinking is right up my alley except I do the bigger meal in the middle of the day and a lighter supper.

Honored Contributor

I had coworkers who avidly followed Kevin Trudeau's diet systems. Look where he is.

♥Surface of the Sun♥