Super Contributor

The Total Gym lady has to stop saying "The best way to flatten your abdomen is to do abdominal exercises."

That is just not true. The fat over your abdomen is not owned by you abdomen. Cardio is the only way to burn fat...and you body will burn the fat from where ever it sees fit.

By building your abdominal muscles you will only 'look' fatter without doing cardio.

Jeesh! They will saying anything to sell stuff.

Trusted Contributor

True

Super Contributor
Radimage--you are so right, in my opinion. I was an aerobics instructor for over 20 yrs and repeatedly told class participants that we cannot spot reduce. Period! Cardio + strength training is the best way to go!
Trusted Contributor
Despite what some exersise programs say and what some people believe ... you cannot spot reduce. Eat less, move more. It will work for most people who choose/able to do the work.
Frequent Contributor

It is true that you can't spot reduce, but if you build a strong core (abs) your abs will get more defined and they will actually looked more pulled in - fat or no fat People don't end up with 6 pack abs just by doing cardio- you have to work those muscles

Valued Contributor

There is some truth to "abs are made in the kitchen". Better yet let's say, "Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen".. I.e.- you must work the abdominal muscles to build them, but you also must eat smarter to show them off!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Not applicable

Plus Total Gym is a system for your whole body, strength and cardio and nutrition plan included. Its not just an ab machine.

Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 radimage said:

The Total Gym lady has to stop saying "The best way to flatten your abdomen is to do abdominal exercises."

That is just not true. The fat over your abdomen is not owned by you abdomen. Cardio is the only way to burn fat...and you body will burn the fat from where ever it sees fit.

By building your abdominal muscles you will only 'look' fatter without doing cardio.

Jeesh! They will saying anything to sell stuff.

You're talking bout two different things here ...... YES, abdominal exercises will firm abdominal exercises ...... that should seem pretty straightforward to you.

However, not everyone has large amounts of belly fat that needs to be reduced, so don't assume that.

Sometimes, people just have weak abs that need to be straightened. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

You are absolutely right radimage. I have had to explain this over and over to friends and family. The only way to reduce fat on your belly is via diet. There is no amount of ab work that will ""flatten"" your abdomen and cause it to lose fat. Building up the underlying ab muscles will cause your abdomen to look bigger because the fat will now be lying over a firmer base. When I began working out I didn't understand this concept and it happened to me. I couldn't figure out why I was doing 300 situps every day and my stomach was looking bigger!

Of course it's important for general health and structural wellbeing to work the ab muscles especially for the back. Bottom line is if you want to lose the belly you have to cut calories.

Esteemed Contributor

My abdomen is my trouble spot. I do my ab work to tone but if I eat poorly the fat covers my tone muscles. The only way I lose the belly fat is to amp up the lean protein and vegetables and cut out the junk. That lady also uses her knees way to much on that machine for my taste. She has already had a hip replacement before she hit 53 and I wonder how her knees is taking all this stress.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.