Frequent Contributor
Fourteen months ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I lived daily with migraine headaches, deep and intense pain in the cheekbones, shoulder blades, lower back, hips and thighs. I grew so weak that I couldn't climb our stairs to the second floor and constantly felt like my legs were going to give out underneath me. I lay awake all night in pain because it hurt to lay on the mattress. My neurologist prescribed Lyrica for me, and while it's helped with the pain and weakness, I've gained twenty pounds and the scale continues to creep up.The Lyrica also makes me excessively sleepy. I'm trying to decide whether to continue this medication and would like to know if anyone else has experienced these side effects. I'm having a very difficult time getting the weight off and the sleepiness hasn't lessoned over time. I cannot imagine going back and living with that pain again. I wouldn't feel so alone if I knew others experienced the weight gain, and I'd like to know if you had similar side effects and chose to stay on this medication.
Honored Contributor

My DH started to take this drug for his diabetic neuropathy and he too gained weight with it. The sleepiness got less as he adjusted to it but he still seems to take a nap every afternoon, and he is in bed by about 9PM every night - sound asleep. Anyway - he started to exercise more and especially ride his bike every day and was able to drop the weight he gained plus a few pounds.

Honored Contributor
On 12/30/2014 KateInOK said: Fourteen months ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I lived daily with migraine headaches, deep and intense pain in the cheekbones, shoulder blades, lower back, hips and thighs. I grew so weak that I couldn't climb our stairs to the second floor and constantly felt like my legs were going to give out underneath me. I lay awake all night in pain because it hurt to lay on the mattress. My neurologist prescribed Lyrica for me, and while it's helped with the pain and weakness, I've gained twenty pounds and the scale continues to creep up.The Lyrica also makes me excessively sleepy. I'm trying to decide whether to continue this medication and would like to know if anyone else has experienced these side effects. I'm having a very difficult time getting the weight off and the sleepiness hasn't lessoned over time. I cannot imagine going back and living with that pain again. I wouldn't feel so alone if I knew others experienced the weight gain, and I'd like to know if you had similar side effects and chose to stay on this medication.

Kate, I have Fibromyalgia as well- there are several others on our board that do too.. Hoping they'll find this thread & chime in.. Great bunch of ladies & very, very helpful and supportive. I, myself, have been on the fence about taking Lyrica. This doesn't work for everyone & it's controversial for fibro patients but I take 600-1200 mg of Mucinex per day for the guaifenesin which helps with my pain but with this cooler, damp weather I have been a bundle of pain- you know exactly how that feels. Redoing my bed today as my legs and hips feel like I've run a 1,000 mile race in a couple hours. Please speak to your neurologist about your rapid weight gain, which sorry to say is a side effect. Gosh I wish they'd come up with something for all us fibro patients that would work but all of us are so different with our symptoms yet alike... Please hang in there, you aren't alone in this... check out this website, it's very informative... and again, your neurologist is always there for you too... I've a fantastic PCP and she has been a rock for me... There are days all I can do is cry & it comes out of nowhere.. Unless someone has walked in our shoes, they don't have a clue as to how fibromyalgia affects each and everyone of us...

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Super Contributor

Hi Kate. I'm so sorry that you have FM and are going through this. Please know that you are not alone. There are others here that understand and care.

I was diagnosed with Fibro about 4 years ago. I have severe allergies to many medications, so treatment for me has been difficult. I can't take Lyrica. I had severe facial swelling after just one dose. I do know a couple people that take it, both with weight gain, that wouldn't function without it. It works really well for my aunt, Lyrica and mild exercise keep her walking. In my experience, sleepiness is a side effect of any of the prescription options. A small cup of coffee or tea in the morning and afternoon help me with this. Also B complex vitamins. I would hate for you to stop taking it if it's helping you and you are getting relief. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. There may be another RX that you could try. Cymbalta? Or Pain Management? Although, it seems that they are all controversial. What works for one, does not work for another. Hang in there!

Hi PeachySue! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

DH has episodes of post herpatic pain from shingles. He has neuropathy from his upper neck radiating into his finger tips. He barely has feeling in his fingers. Anyway, he was prescribed Lyrica and it helps him tremendously. He takes it as needed so, he has not really had any side effects. However, he takes many medications including a low dose of Prednisone as part of his anti rejection regimen.

Again, although he takes it intermittently, it helps him a lot.

You could also try Neurontin.

Super Contributor

Kate, there is another Fibro thread that contains a lot of great info., support and discussions regarding medications. Maybe you can sift through it and find something helpful, if you haven't done so already. We haven't posted there in awhile, so I'm going to find it and bump it up for you.

We are here for you (or anyone else) anytime. Wishing you comfort and rest.

Honored Contributor

Friend of mine was taking it for numbness in her legs, all it did was put her to sleep, stopped it.

Contributor
I'm sorry to hear that you have fibromyalgia. I've lived with it for 26 1/2 years. The older I get the worse I feel. My doctor prescribed Lyrica earlier this year. I quit taking it regularly after I gained about 12 pounds. It helped tremendously to relieve the pain so what I do now is take it periodically when I'm in severe pain. I take Ultram every day which is just enough to knock off the edge of pain but the Lyrica is awesome. I just hate that I can't take it every day since it causes weight gain. I'm hoping that one day there will be a cure for this horrible illness that so many don't seem to understand. In the meantime, I know my limits of what I can and cannot do and try to live each day to the fullest. Blessings to you and everyone else on here that suffers from fibromyalgia.
Frequent Contributor
Thanks to you all for your kind words and suggestions. I will look for the fibro thread. I think people with fibro and some other issues feel alone as we tend to ""hibernate"" or seclude ourselves in our homes. It's hard to put on the public ""mask"" of happiness and to act to others as though we're coping and functioning right along with everyone else when inside we're screaming with pain and frustration and guilt. I am going to start walking and try my very best to eat right. Reaching out to the women on this forum and receiving your empathy and advice means so much. Thank you.
Trusted Contributor

I have peripheral neuropathy and take Lyrica. I had weight gain and decided to take less. I spoke with my doctor about it and since it wasn't helping a lot anyhow, she agreed to give me less. I'm so sorry you have Fibro, I wish more scientists would work on these diseases to come up with medications that have an effect on us without putting us "out."