Honored Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers’s Death Spurs New Look at Outpatient Centers

Interesting article, thanks. It appears that everything that could go wrong, did. I have had eye procedures at an outpatient surgery center with no problems. Once you got in the door, it seemed like a regular hospital.
Honored Contributor

On 12/16/2014 Sabear said: Interesting article, thanks. It appears that everything that could go wrong, did. I have had eye procedures at an outpatient surgery center with no problems. Once you got in the door, it seemed like a regular hospital.

Same here. I'll have to ask my eye doctor, but I don't believe he ever operates at the hospitals even though there's one close enough to his office that he could walk there if he were so inclined!

Before I get all upset about surgi centers, I have to remember that people die every day in "real" hospitals, too. So very many issues for all of us to keep in mind.

I don't really know how we control it, but I feel the people are involved are more significant than the place - once you're dealing with a place that isn't already known to be below par as a caveat.

Respected Contributor

A few years ago, my Work Comp case manager told me her Dad had a fairly common procedure at a surgey center, had a complication and died. I dont ever want to go to one ever again. Nope, not happening.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Millie........Doctors have to accepted by the hospital board and be on staff before they can perform surgery or any other medical procedures at a hospital. They can't just 'walk' in and use the hospital facility.

Honored Contributor

Something happens every few years that causes them to look at these centers and small changes or new regulations get added, sometimes at the state level. Plastic surgeons have had quite a few issues in these places because they were not equipped to handle the emergencies that arose. Personally, I decided many years ago that if I were going to have a surgical procedure, I would do it in a hospital. Bad things can happen anywhere, but I want to make sure that if something bad happens, I'm in a place that I know is best equipped to handle it for better odds.

Regular Contributor

I recently had my first colonoscopy and because of Joan Rivers, opted out of the endoscopy. When all the findings came out about what went wrong with Joans case, I just couldn't help but to think that it seems they wanted her to die. I know this sounds harsh and over the top but it doesn't make sense that not one person in the room realized this dear woman was dying. At first they were making it out to be a heart condition but that was not the case, she died because everyone in the room allowed her too. I know this happens all the time, and yes even in hospitals. Like another poster said your results are only as good as the people, (drs.) that you allow and trust to perform what you need done. It is as simple and scary as that.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if, in response to Joan's unfortunate death, new rules/regulations regarding outpatient clinics will be enacted and they become known as "the Joan Rivers Law" or something like that.

It is possible that her life will have an additional and unanticipated impact.

Respected Contributor

An endoscopy is a very safe procedure. I have three a year. At a hospital, but because it's more convenient than the much pleasanter center my doctor also uses.

There is more risk in a colonoscopy wherever it's done. If you need an endoscopy, please have it.

Honored Contributor

On 12/17/2014 lavendar said:

An endoscopy is a very safe procedure. I have three a year. At a hospital, but because it's more convenient than the much pleasanter center my doctor also uses.

There is more risk in a colonoscopy wherever it's done. If you need an endoscopy, please have it.

Or gastroscopy.

And after age 50 (or earlier if necessary), colonoscopy.