Frequent Contributor
I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. At the same time I'm noticing dry, peeling skin on the hands & feet, Is this an FM thing or just coincidence? TY
Contributor

Please no attacks, I am putting this information out there as information only. You decide what you want to do with it.

RTmom, you must be relieved to finally have a diagnosis. If you have gone through what I have gone through, with similar symptoms, I would have been relieved. After many years of suffering with rib pain, foot pain, neck pain, eye twitching, etc. almost any diagnosis would have made me happy. I just ask you to do your own research, you may not get any answers from your doctors because they don't have the answers.

Now I will get on my soap box about Lyme disease, the great imitator. Do research, connect the dots, find a Lyme literate doctor.

Two helpful websites. For you RTmom...

http://www.lyme-symptoms. com/CoInfectionsMycoplasma .html

http://www.ilads. org/lyme/treatment-guideline .php

Super Contributor

copy what shoppingT said, I was just going to post lyme as well.

Honored Contributor
First you might inquire as to where the OP lives. Lyme disease doesn't occur everywhere. I've never heard of a case of it in NM.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
I have had fibromyalgia for many years, and have not had the skin issues you mentioned. Hope you can find a good doctor and get appropriate care!
Super Contributor

I, too, have had fibromyalgia for a long time and skin problems have never been part of it. There is a virus called "Fifth Disease" or "hand and foot disease" that causes redness and peeling on your hands and feet. You need to see a doctor.

Frequent Contributor

I have had fibromyalgia for years and seem to gain newer symptoms as I get older. I do have itching all over my body at times and my skin stays dry but doesn't peel.

Frequent Contributor
I live in Raleigh, NC. 3 doctors, not 1, feel it is fibromyalgia; no one has mentioned Lyme. Not sure what the skin dryness is about, may be time to revisit the dermatologist.
Super Contributor

Rtmom, dry skin could also be a symptom of thyroid problems or as simple as dehydration. sorry you're dealing with fibro, I hope your drs can offer you some relief.

Super Contributor
On 12/9/2014 Rtmom said: I live in Raleigh, NC. 3 doctors, not 1, feel it is fibromyalgia; no one has mentioned Lyme. Not sure what the skin dryness is about, may be time to revisit the dermatologist.

Hi Rtmom, I know an EXCELLENT dermatologist in Raleigh, have you seen one there ? I don't think what you have is common with fibro. More likely is just parallel to your symptoms or a side effect along with something else. But I would see a derm first, then your Rheumatologist.. Do you see a Rheumatologist in Ral ?

Sorry about your skin. Are you well hydrated, and do you use a good hand/body moisturizer ? Take vitamins and minerals? ( I have a lot of dry skin issues myself!)

Are you having any thyroid issues ? Any hormone or diabetes ?