Valued Contributor

Need Advice on Exercise Bike

I need some recommendations on a stabile and reasonably priced exercise bike. Since I have arthritis in my joints, it is difficult to keep up with some other exercise and I've had to put my treadmill on hold. My doctor has recommended a bike since it's easier on the joints. If anyone has experience with one, please let me know your recommendation as, at this point, I am not keeping up with my daily exercise.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Exercise Bike

A recumbent bike is my suggestion. I suggest trying them out to make sure you are comfortable on it. Would also suggest you get one that is a full step through as they are much easier to get on and off. I have had a ProForm for many years and it has seen hard use and has been problem free. You can usually find them at Sears stores at good prices. As for price? Get one one with minimal features unless you know you will use them.
hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Love my Schwinn AirDyne. I've had it for almost 20 years and it's still going strong. It has really saved me during a few ankle injuries that made treadmill walking impossible.

Honored Contributor

My DH swears by his Schwinn Air Dyne bike, very sturdy, and a very good workout.

Super Contributor

I too vote for a recumbent, and that you try it out first. Mine is from Costco (they have equipment coming in usually after Christmas) and is the wide, heavy kind you find at a gym. It's about 6 years old now. The only negative I have about it is that I have to put a rolled towel at my lower back for support, but really, I am not complaining. With the towel it is quite comfortable for any length of time.

My preference is for the electronic readout and resistance, as opposed to the dial resistance. Much more expensive, but you know exactly where you are in effort. Sometimes I just get on the bike and pedal with almost no resistance, just using it to MOVE rather than to SIT idle and watch TV. - Bird