Super Contributor

Dexa Scan test for bone density

I am having one done next Thursday. I had one done at age 44 and my density was good. Now 60, post menopausal for 16 years....and with different health challenges, I am curious to see how my bones are today. My diet, supplements and lifestyle have been very good but often that is not enough. If I find my density is not great, I still will not resort to the pharmaceutical drugs they push. Doctors dole them out like candy and do not tell patients how dangerous they can be. Also, reading up on the scanners, they are very inaccurate much of the time...also something patients are not told.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dexa Scan test for bone density

Glad to see your post. I got a call today that there has been some loss in my hips over the last 4 years, so I'm going to ramp up the old walking routines and see if I can stabilize where I am now. I'm older than you though.
Super Contributor

On 12/4/2014 violann said: Glad to see your post. I got a call today that there has been some loss in my hips over the last 4 years, so I'm going to ramp up the old walking routines and see if I can stabilize where I am now. I'm older than you though.
Violann...we need to remember that it is normal for some bone loss at an older age. We are not 20 year olds anymore. Walking and strength training are our best friends!
Honored Contributor

What's the point of having the test believing as you do that the scanners are not accurate and that you will continue to use lifestyle to treat any deficiencies?

Why not just continue to try to live a healthy life as you've apparently been doing and ignore the test altogether? You've lost me.

Super Contributor

On 12/4/2014 millieshops said:

What's the point of having the test believing as you do that the scanners are not accurate and that you will continue to use lifestyle to treat any deficiencies?

Why not just continue to try to live a healthy life as you've apparently been doing and ignore the test altogether? You've lost me.

I thought about that...my doctor wanted the test done, insurance covers it. Figure I would see what it said out of curiosity.
Super Contributor

If you don't intend to take the medications they push for bone loss, I wouldn't even bother with the test. It's a waste of your time and insurance money. Just because insurance covers it doesn't mean you have to have it, especially if you don't intend to follow the recommended treatment.

Respected Contributor

My doctor recommends taking timed release calcium with vitamin D3 rather than a large dose which can cause problems.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I had a perfectly ""normal"" scan and am still facing hip replacement due to joint degeneration. I guess you have to determine what you hope to glean from the test. Maybe my ""clean"" scan will help the surgeon determine my risk.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

Were you advised to not take calcium supplements for a few days prior to the test?
Honored Contributor

There are safe, all-natural, very effective supplements that you can take instead.

Go to Amazon and check out: MK-7, Strontium, Vitamin D3, and Calcium Citrate.

I have osteopenia (thinning of the bones & the precursor to osteoporosis), and they have really helped.

Good luck. 8-)