Respected Contributor

My doctor has given my a prescription for Celebrex for an arthritic knee. Has anyone ever taken this? Did you get relief? Were there unpleasant side effects?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Take Celebrex?

I never used it. My sister has arthritis in her knee and she used it and said it did indeed relieve her pain. However, serious cardivascular problems have been reported with long term use. It also has a tendancy to raise blood pressure. So, after a few months her doc wouldn't write prescriptions for her anymore. She didn't have any affects.

Honored Contributor

I took Celebrex some years ago because of arthritis in my foot. The pain had become so intense that I had trouble walking and that's what helped me past that episode.

I loved it! My whole body felt better. I know there can be issues with any medication, but if my doctor wanted to prescribe Celebrex or something similar, I'd weigh my options but eould probably take that med in as small a does as made a difference for me.

Respected Contributor

The orthopedic surgeon I worked for prescribes this a lot. So many patients got significant relief from it. I would suggest to use it only with pain as it is an anti inflammatory. Many people get relief from Voltaren as well.

I remember well when Vioxx came out and it was a miracle drug for many but because of deaths and a class action suit, it was taken off the market. Some patients asked if they could still obtain it because they were willing to take the risk.

Honored Contributor

Took it for several years with no problems or side effects. Mine was for osteoarthritis in several parts of my body. After my second heart attack and my understanding of potential heart valve issues, I decided I did not want to add more risk to my heart problems. Spoke with my prescribing and he agreed. While my arthritic pain is worse, there is less of a risk of heart valve issues and unlike arthritis, heart valve problems can be life threatening. I made the right decision for myself and my feeling is each person should do the same. This of course should include consulting with ones doctor.
hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Raised my blood pressure, so I quit taking it.

Honored Contributor

i have taken it for back pain and it is hands down the best relief i have ever felt.....within a day of taking it! i know that there are side effects, but i never take it long term.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I took Celebrex years ago. Some insurance companies do not make it part of its formulary because it is so expensive.

Celebrex is an NSAID. I trusted my family doctor (needless to say have since gotten a different doctor) and took an NSAID for several years. I kept asking if I should be taking it for that long and he said as long as my blood tests didn't show a problem with kidney function, I could keep taking it. I am now in stage 3 of chronic kidney disease. I have debilitating spinal arthritis and cannot take any Tylenol, NSAID, and most pain killers unless it is imperative that I have it, as my new doctor and I don't want me to go to stage 4. Stage 5 is where you do dialysis.

Yes, it relieved my pain and I was finally pain free, but I am paying for it now. Read up on chronic kidney disease and see if any new guidelines for taking NSAIDs have been introduced. And, ask your prescribing doctor about what measures will be taken to ensure it does not affected your kidneys.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

I have been taking Celebrex for years. It really helps a lot with the arthritis I have in my lower back! It did not help my knees. I had one total knee replaced in October and that fixed my knee problem. I see my doctor regularly and have blood tests every six months. So far so good. ALL medications come with warnings and possible side effects. That's where each person has to decide for them self along with their doctor.
Super Contributor

Did you read the insert that comes with it showing all the dangerous side effects? I would never take it.....death from heart attack is one ""side effect""......no thanks! Please read up on it before you take it!