Esteemed Contributor

If you practice yoga, how do you describe the effect on your well-being? In an attempt to heal spinal discomfort due to medically diagnosed conditions, I have just started learning. I find that it elevates my mood and has reduced imbalance and pain in my gait. My physical therapist recommended it, and I find that I wish I had started long ago.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor
I have thought about taking a yoga class but they are always in the evenings and last for 2 hours - not sure if as a beginner I could handle 2hrs. What do you Ladies think a.m. Or p.m. Best? And length of class. Thanks.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/25/2014 dulwich said: I have thought about taking a yoga class but they are always in the evenings and last for 2 hours - not sure if as a beginner I could handle 2hrs. What do you Ladies think a.m. Or p.m. Best? And length of class. Thanks.

I consider myself a beginner and a 2 hour class would be two much for me. My instructor always says you know your body more than I do so take a break at any time. I would either try to find a one hour or even DVD's and go at your own pace. As far as time I like a.m.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Super Contributor
Do you think they have yoga classes for people with arthritis?
Esteemed Contributor

AnnaBella, I have arthritis in my back, and that is why I am learning the practice of yoga. I can't do nearly what some can, but in my world, small steps make a difference.

Cogito ergo sum
Frequent Contributor
I do Hatha Yoga; a mix of physical stretching and breathing control. It helps with my stiff, sore back muscles and lung power for endurance running. I have done a lot of marathons, which have taken its toll on my body, and I have had a spinal procedure for a tumor pressing against it. So, yes yoga is good for a number of reasons. Namaste.
Trusted Contributor
I started taking a Yin Yoga class at my local YMCA 2 months ago. Prior to that I was seeing a chiropractor for muscle tension and headaches. I have not had to see the chiropractor since taking this class. There are men and women in my class in their 70's and they are more flexible than I am. My class is in the morning for 1hour and 15 minutes. I love it!!
Honored Contributor

It's hard to put into words, the priceless things that it's done for my body, soul, mind, and spirit.

So if I can express myself better, I'll re-post.

But I can mention that most people who take up the practice say that they wish (like you & I ) that yoga had come into their lives many years sooner. 8)

Honored Contributor

I wanna play (crying, stomping feet)!! I read these posts about the benefits of yoga & sit slumped shouldered, defeated. I've tried yoga a bunch of times, but...just don't 'get' it. It's like a secret I'm not in on!! =:0.

feline..you have me wanting to try again!

Frequent Contributor
Yes yoga is good for arthritis, mood, energy,...and just about anything else u can think of...balancing hormones, digestion, and so on. I recently completed a 10 month course to become a yoga teacher and therapist, and am just beginning to understand about all the aspects of yoga. Beginner should strt with a 1 hour class, 2 would be way too much and may cause I jury if not a very good teacher. Go with an open mind, give. It at least 3 classes before you make up your mind. Morning classes are great to clear your head for the day and gain energy. Evening classes are good when you need some grounding or calming from things in your life. Hatha or flow yoga my fav.....but i like a work out too, beginner should look for some type restorative class...some classes you don't even get up off the floor and they are wonderful. Has done wonders for me after having my now 3 children....... I say the world needs more yoga.....less antidepressants Smiley Wink