Esteemed Contributor

I thought everything was going ok until this. I went and had tests and xrays and nothing showed up the reason. I can't put a shoe on my right foot and walk. I was told to put my foot up. How does a person get rid of this swelling?

Respected Contributor

You should ask your doctor, not here. You could have a medical condition causing the swelling, something which might not show in the tests you had. Until you see the doctor, elevate your foot, as they told you.

Trusted Contributor

Definitely contact your doctor ASAP. In the meantime, elevate your foot and use ice to help with swelling.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like it could be edema, a build-up of fluid in the foot/ankle.

Please call or see your doctor.

Honored Contributor
Based on the fact you had major surgery recently, I would be even more concerned about swelling in an extremity. Stay on top of this!
Honored Contributor

i dont know your medical conditions, but it could also be gout....and that would not show up on xrays.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

There are endless reasons for foot swelling. An orthopedic surgeon can diagnose a bunch of them and may need more than an X ray.

If you had recent surgery, I would immediately call your surgeon (no matter where you had surgery). It could be an urgent matter.

Esteemed Contributor

I did see a doctor who ordered all these tests. I had a blood test and one(I forgot the name that was with a machine and stuff was put on my legs. Also I will look up what edema is exactly. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Given your extensive medical history and multiple conditions go to your doctor and follow what the doctor tells you to do.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor
On 11/23/2014 halfpint said:

I did see a doctor who ordered all these tests. I had a blood test and one(I forgot the name that was with a machine and stuff was put on my legs. Also I will look up what edema is exactly. Thank you.

Hi halfpint,

Edema means swelling because of excessive fluid.

Would presume whomever did these tests has sent the results to the doctor that ordered them. I would like to think that this doctor would tell you or give you written info on what exactly these tests are looking to find. Don't make sense to me, but then again I don't have any procedure done without knowing exactly the purpose and what it is they are looking to find or not find.

There are tests called Doppler, where they wrap your legs like they do your arm when checking blood pressure. There are Doppler Venous Tests, and Doppler Arterial Tests, both of which look for blood clots. Don't know if this is what you had, but I do know these are sometimes done for many different types of situations.

I've had both of these tests done for different reasons, one of which was swelling in my feet. Both the Venous and Arterial came up negative. They decided to give me Lasix to help reduce the fluid level in my feet. This was during long hospital stays where I was on IV fluids for many days with nothing to eat but Apple Juice and Orange Jello, and a gallon of Go/NuLytely before each of my many colonoscopies and/or Double Balloon Enteroscopies.

Best check with your doctor about this. Since I've been diagnosed with PE(lung blood clots)and CHF(congestive heart failure), this can be caused by either or both of these diagnosis. A weak heart can and does cause fluid retention, but so do a lot of less serious maladies.

hckynut(john)