Honored Contributor

Here's an eye opener for you . . . surprised or not?

Short but to the point article in NY Times.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/opinion/how-medical-care-is-being-corrupted.html?ref=opinion&_...=

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Here's an eye opener for you . . . surprised or not?

Not surprised, but disgusted by the rampant greed in medicine today.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I don't understand how this can be rationalized as ethical. It seems the doctors are just as much prisoners of the ""system"" as we are.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I work in health care and I am not surprised at all. I have seen this first hand. So sad.
Super Contributor

I think this is definitely one-sided and not true in all cases. My personal experience - with my insurance the co-pay is the same across the board, regardless of the drug, generic or brand, the co-pay is the same regardless of the doctor.

As for the physician end of it, the medical group my PC belongs to just sent out an extensive customer satisfaction survey. The questions were along the lines of "Did the doctor listen to your concerns. Did the doctor spend enough time with you. Did the doctor give you information on your medications and side effects. Did the doctor give you options for treatment when available." This group has a website with a patient portal where we can access test results and PM our doctor with questions. Last week my DH went in for regular blood work because of medication he's taking and we got a message from the doctor saying his WBC was up and wanted to know if he was feeling ok? This message was stamped at 7pm. The dr's response the next day was stamped at 6 am.

I realize that's not true with all doctors or clinic groups, but neither is the article.