Honored Contributor

If you use a personal trainer, would you mind saying

1) How much you pay per hour or session

2) How many sessions per week/month do you usually work with the trainer

2) If you use a gym trainer or an independent trainer

3) What part of the country you live in.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

I do not go to a personal trainer but I do know that the trainers with their own small private gyms charge $60-70 hour in my area. If. could afford it I would love to be able to go a private gym trainer 3 times a week. Currently I am using my Aeropilates, Bosu, and exercise ball at home.

Respected Contributor

My DS hired a personal trainer @ $75/hr. He got a discount for signing up for 6 weeks. He lives in Dallas, TX.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I pay $210 a month for 8 sessions with my trainer, the gym membership and unlimited Cross Fit classes he also conducts (a freebie for the trainer's regulars).

I see him twice a week and I go 3-4 more times a week for cardio or Cross Fit.

He is in a doctoral program for physical therapy, so he really knows what he is talking about and what works for me (60 years old!). I have been with Matt for almost 3 years and have never had an injury - just the usual aches and twinges.

Respected Contributor

I had one a few years ago where I went to her house. I paid $55.00/hour. If she came to your house I believe she charged $75.00.

Super Contributor

Manhattan ... my local gym (not part of chain) - rates for members.

$85 per hour w/trainer

$540 for twelve 1/2 hour sessions w/trainer

They have "packages" available also:

16 One-Hour Training Sessions Pack -$1,280.00
24 One-Hour Training Sessions Pack -$1,848.00

Esteemed Contributor

I still work out today in the gym at age 78 and am a personal trainer for my daughter in law.

I started with Jack Lalanne, not dead, and have been weight training for 55 years. Back in the day like the 60's 70's we paid for a gym membership or joined an all women's health club, and your fee was also part of how to use weights.

My dad went to a gym his whole adult life for men, and never paid a separate fee. Also, no matter how many years you train on weights, you get a certain age, and everything goes south. The one thing, is the South will wait a little longer than those that do not do weights and it is good for your bones., but all you really need is the weight machines and walking if you can, weight bearing exercise. Not trying to be negative, just trying to save people money, if they want too.

Reminds me of having life coaches today. I am people who have lived and now seniors, can be life coaches, and I would not charge a fee. Today you have 30 year olds being life coaches, and how much of life have they really experience. Some have had it tough, but wow, you need to live a little longer. I do say bravo if you get people to pay, you are smart enough to start a business, which is something we women did not do too much back in the day.

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 Kathleen said:

Manhattan ... my local gym (not part of chain) - rates for members.

$85 per hour w/trainer

$540 for twelve 1/2 hour sessions w/trainer

They have "packages" available also:

16 One-Hour Training Sessions Pack -$1,280.00
24 One-Hour Training Sessions Pack -$1,848.00

I just double checked. I pay $27 for each 30 minute session - the gym is an extra $20 a month...that's pretty good compared to some other prices I'm seeing!

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 qvcaddition said:

I still work out today in the gym at age 78 and am a personal trainer for my daughter in law.

I started with Jack Lalanne, not dead, and have been weight training for 55 years. Back in the day like the 60's 70's we paid for a gym membership or joined an all women's health club, and your fee was also part of how to use weights.

My dad went to a gym his whole adult life for men, and never paid a separate fee. Also, no matter how many years you train on weights, you get a certain age, and everything goes south. The one thing, is the South will wait a little longer than those that do not do weights and it is good for your bones., but all you really need is the weight machines and walking if you can, weight bearing exercise. Not trying to be negative, just trying to save people money, if they want too.

Reminds me of having life coaches today. I am people who have lived and now seniors, can be life coaches, and I would not charge a fee. Today you have 30 year olds being life coaches, and how much of life have they really experience. Some have had it tough, but wow, you need to live a little longer. I do say bravo if you get people to pay, you are smart enough to start a business, which is something we women did not do too much back in the day.

I do some personal training as a side profession. I've been lifting/training for over 30 years and have only worked with a trainer a few times, and those times were when I was working on my certification. I prefer to work out alone, but I know that there are many people who want to work out in groups, or they need a trainer for motivation and help with proper technique.

I was just curious about how rates differ around the country. I do know that trainers who work for a gym fork over a good deal of what the gym charges a client TO the gym and the trainer doesn't make much at all. I work independently.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all the responses.

Fees vary greatly which is what I expected.