Super Contributor

About sleep after retirement....ZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz How is yours??

So, I retired about 2 years ago. My daily life structure has changed dramatically but, in a good way! I exercise and walk more... have less stress... and am happier{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}. But, I find that my sleep patterns and lifestyle have changed so much!

I now eat supper about 4PM(much earlier than when I used to work...) Then relax for a couple of hours watching tv reading a book etc... and then go to sleep about 9:30PM. I do have some pain issues which hamper my sleep and comfort... that saying I get up most mornings about 2:30AM and start my day{#emotions_dlg.blink} So I am getting about 5 hours of somewhat restless sleep.

I take in NO caffeine after my morning JOE.. and that is very early in the morning. In the afternoon I only drink Chamomile Tea. I do take several natural herbal sleep aids in the evening.. with some Melatonin. I exercise early in the day.... I usually have my supper( and I do eat a very healthy diet!) about 5 hours before bedtime so I do not have a full tummy when I try to sleep as I have been told the body should not be digesting food while it is trying to rest and regenerate.

Do you think getting up at such an early time is OK as long as I get some sleep though not a totally restful sleep? When I worked I used to go to bed about midnight and slept with a full stomach as I got home from work about 7:30PM and ate my dinner about 9PM. I think I slept better when I was working as I was so tired mentally from the stress of WORK. Not that it was a healthier way to live...

Maybe everyone who is now retired could share how well they sleep... or not.... maybe you figured out what to do to sleep better.... see what the consensus is and perhaps help one another if you are not sleeping well like myself. Smile

Super Contributor

Re: About sleep after retirement....ZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzz How is yours??

AnnaBella, are you opposed to taking a prescription medication for sleep? It would give you a much more restful sleep. Better quality sleep often helps with pain issues. Research shows that people who sleep longer, live longer.

I would talk to my doctor and possibly consider having a sleep study done. Best of luck!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Madisson said:

AnnaBella, are you opposed to taking a prescription medication for sleep? It would give you a much more restful sleep. Better quality sleep often helps with pain issues. Research shows that people who sleep longer, live longer.

I would talk to my doctor and possibly consider having a sleep study done. Best of luck!

Yes--- I am against prescription sleep aids. I think if I could get my pain issue under control.... hopefully... my sleep will improve. My pain is much less when I am up and moving.. laying down flat on the bed brings on the pain.. odd huh?

Respected Contributor

Annabella, I too have pain issues when I'm lying in bed that I don't have otherwise. I splurged and bought a Temperpedic matress that I can adjust (raise and lower head and foot area) and it has helped me tremendously. I still can't lie in bed more than 7 hours, but that is much better than 4. BTW...I just retired and it is the best thing ever.
Contributor

AnnaBella, are you tired when you go to bed? I have been retired (disability) for 7 years now. Other than a doctors appointment and an infusion once a month I don't have to plan my days around anything. I just go by my internal clock. I sleep when I'm tired and awake otherwise. You hear so much about everyone having an internal clock. For the 30+ years I worked it was horror. I had to set 3 alarms to get up. I am a night person and couldn't be happier now. I have pain and spasms and buzzing feet constantly (MS) but when I go to sleep when I am actually tired, I can sleep 10 hours. I woke up at 9:30 last night and am just now getting tired.
Esteemed Contributor

I think that I would check with your Dr. next time you go in for something and ask him/her. It would seem to me that if you otherwise feel good, that your sleep pattern is fine. If you weren't getting enough sleep I would imagine that you would be groggy and not wanting to exercise. For me, I retired six years ago last Spring, and my sleep pattern hasn't changed in the least. Go to bed at the same time and still get up at 5:00 or 5:30. I wish you well.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 AGV said: Annabella, I too have pain issues when I'm lying in bed that I don't have otherwise. I splurged and bought a Temperpedic matress that I can adjust (raise and lower head and foot area) and it has helped me tremendously. I still can't lie in bed more than 7 hours, but that is much better than 4. BTW...I just retired and it is the best thing ever.

AGV... this is my next big purchase. I just bought a new Serta sleeper two years ago and next new bed I plan to go with a better quality mattress... one that has the ability to go up and down at the head of the bed, and hopefully a sleep number or temperpedic.... Thanks for the suggestion!!

Honored Contributor

I like to get up around 7 to 7:30AM . I sleep 7 hours every day , you could set the clock by that , so I stay up until about midnight or 12:30 and when I go to bed I will sleep for my 7 hours. After years of working shifts and 12 hour shifts plus being on call and , generally, being constantly sleep deprived, I am so happy to be able to sleep until I naturally wake up every day but Sunday.On Sunday we like to go to early church so I set the alarm.

Trusted Contributor

When you're retired, you can build your daily schedule however you please........so if going to bed early and waking up early is working OK for you -- and if you feel reasonably rested and energetic -- why not? If you want to get up a bit later, why not just go to bed a bit later in the evening? DH and I are retired and often stay up tlll after midnight and get up at 8:30 or 9: a.m. We love it! You're the best judge of what schedule works for you and how much sleep your body needs, so give it some thought and do what works for you. There's no "right" or "wrong" and no reason for worrying if your schedule is different from most other peoples'.

If you're feeling well and getting an amount of sleep that seems adequate for your body, I'd avoid sleeping medications. Sometimes they're necesssary and helpful, but if you can do without them and the potential side effects, dependency, and other problems, I'd leave them alone.

Honored Contributor

I think what you are doing is fine, you seem to be functioning during the day. Your body would let you know if there were a problem. I would also avoid using sleep medications.