Esteemed Contributor

Can anyone think of a reason why the left side of the lower body would be slightly weaker than the right side in a person who is right-dominant?

I revised my strength training workouts last week: heavier barbell and dumbbells, new exercises, lower sets and reps. The last set on the right side is very difficult; the last set on the left side is to failure.

Terrier and John, I'm specifically looking for your input!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I am confused- one part of your post sounds like you are saying the left side is weaker but the second paragraph makes it sound like your right side is weaker. Or did I misunderstand you?

Regardless, almost everyone has one side that is slightly weaker than the other and there are various reasons why that might be. The side you are dominant is usually the stronger side since, well, you tend to use that side more because it is dominant. Hence the left side would naturally be weaker since you use it less. I know with certain back issues can cause one side to compensate for the pain or bulging disk and causes the other side to be weaker. I can name numerous reasons but, again, overall we generally tend to have one weaker side on our bodies.

Frequent Contributor
My right arm and hand are stronger than my left and I have always attributed it to being right-handed. Come to think about it, my right leg is stronger/more dominate than my left leg, too.
Respected Contributor
I think you meant dominant not dominate.
Honored Contributor

Sounds like your small stabilizers are weak...and adding weight would be the last thing I would do. Working the stabilizers is foundational work...lots of time & it's not an endorphin induced workout...but it must be done for gains & no injuries down the road.

If you're in a gym facility, get w/ a trainer. Look for one w/ extensive body work certification...C.H.E.K. certification is the Gold Standard. If not available, look for outside certification (ie not gym specific). Stay away from Crossfit certification.

Again, adding weight to an imbalance will only make that imbalance greater. Take the time to do your foundational work so you can begin 2015 with stronger goals!

Honored Contributor

I'm right handed and my left side has always been slightly weaker.

My trainer has always indicated that people "favor" one side over the other...which is why he works on my form on my "weaker side."

Since you just raised your weights, I'm sure both sides will stabilize as you get stronger.

Just keep at it and remember that when it gets easy - it's time to go up!

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/21/2014 HappyDaze said:

I am confused- one part of your post sounds like you are saying the left side is weaker but the second paragraph makes it sound like your right side is weaker. Or did I misunderstand you?

Regardless, almost everyone has one side that is slightly weaker than the other and there are various reasons why that might be. The side you are dominant is usually the stronger side since, well, you tend to use that side more because it is dominant. Hence the left side would naturally be weaker since you use it less. I know with certain back issues can cause one side to compensate for the pain or bulging disk and causes the other side to be weaker. I can name numerous reasons but, again, overall we generally tend to have one weaker side on our bodies.

HD, you understood correctly.

I increased the free weights. My right (dominant) glutes, hams, quads and calves do the full sets, but it's hard. The left (weaker) glutes, hams, quads and calves can't do the entire last set.

It makes sense that my upper body (mainly arms) will show weakness because I lift things with my right side. I don't see that with my lower body.

Why would my lower right side be stronger?

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/21/2014 child prodigy said: My right arm and hand are stronger than my left and I have always attributed it to being right-handed. Come to think about it, my right leg is stronger/more dominate than my left leg, too.

Why?

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:

I'm right handed and my left side has always been slightly weaker.

My trainer has always indicated that people "favor" one side over the other...which is why he works on my form on my "weaker side."

Since you just raised your weights, I'm sure both sides will stabilize as you get stronger.

Just keep at it and remember that when it gets easy - it's time to go up!

Terrier, do you or Psycho Matt see a reason that you would favor the right lower body over the left?

That's what I'm not getting.

Frequent Contributor
On 11/21/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 11/21/2014 child prodigy said: My right arm and hand are stronger than my left and I have always attributed it to being right-handed. Come to think about it, my right leg is stronger/more dominate than my left leg, too.

Why?

I catch myself standing more heavily on my right leg and foot although I make an effort to be evenly balanced. I climb stairs & step up on curbs with my right foot/leg first as it feels stronger & more secure and shove off for sprinting and swimming that way.