Super Contributor

My tryglycerides are very high, any tips.

Went to doctor said I'm in pretty good shape BUT my tryglycerides are bad 363. He says need to lose 30 lbs. I don't know where to start. Got out my old Leslie Sansone tapes and have started 1 mile in morning and 1 in afternoon, that's about all I can do. I just don't know anything to eat that I will stick with carrots and celery just don't fill me up. Any tips? Too soon I know but been trying for a few days to eat right no junk so thought I'd check my weight I gained a pound, that is depressing to say the least. Now I know why they say weigh once a week.

Honored Contributor

Re: My tryglycerides are very high, any tips.

What worked for me was to cut out most white carbs (white bread, potatos, etc.), no sugar whatsoever and whatever I ordered at a restaurant (I try to be good), I ate half the plate and took the other half home (we have boys that eat anything in a styrofoam box)...

After I got the 30lbs off and my blood sugars came down to normal, my tryglycerides were still too high, I started Cholesteroff as a supplement. They worked! They brought my numbers to normal. I never did understand why my tryglycerides were so high, but the supplement helps.

Other than that, it's extremely hard. I spent my life thinking that if one candy was good then a pound was better. I loved bakery goods and white bread. I was a member of TOPS and Weight Watchers for years. But it was becoming diabetic that shocked and scared me into eating right.... or else. Please don't let it get that far! Diabetes is like rotting from the inside out, like a sturdy oak tree that is honeycomb and brittle and eaten by bugs on the inside.

Take one day at a time and weigh once a week. If you are exercising a lot, remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

After all my years of struggling with my weight, nothing worked until I started managing my sugar levels. Good luck and never give up~!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

Hi Proofer. The doctor told me watch the fats and sugar or simple carbs as Q4U mentions. Mine aren't as high as yours but I have more weight to lose, so I'm in your boat anyhow. I struggle with the carbs and sugar. I know what I shouldn't be eating but have trouble with lunches in particular. Anyone have ideas for easy lunches that are healthy? I'm sure there will be some good advice here. Good luck! I have my Leslie Sansone too but I've been struggling with a heel spur that's makes it harder. No exuses though.

Honored Contributor

I spent time reading medical studies about fish oil. One of the only benefits of taking fish oil that has consistent scientific evidence to support it, is for lowering triglycerides. It is very effective at doing this. You want a type that does not cause unpleasant burping. Try Nature Made Burp-Less Fish Oil, 1200 mg. Active ingredients are derived from anchovy, mackerel and sardines. This product is available in many stores. To call the company, 1-800-276-2878, if you have more questions, or visit the Nature Made site online. I do not work for this company. This response is based on evidence. Good luck.
Trusted Contributor

You're on the right track by starting to exercise because that's a big factor in lowing triglycerides. As someone said, fish oil can help as can foods like salmon and oatmeal. Do check with your doctor before taking a fish oil supplement because they can thin your blood. Try drinking water at the first sign of hunger. For a snack, I find an apple with a very thin piece of cheddar cheese fills me up. Also adding a soluble fiber like Benefiber to hot drinks can help fill you up and lower triglycerides.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar problem and I am fixing it by increasing the good fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts) and decreasing the saturated fats (read labels, but most fried or baked items - crackers, cookies, etc).

Also, I try to work out 4 -5 times a week, and increase the cardio so that I am breaking a sweat. Obviously this is something that needs to be worked up to slowly and with your doctor's OK.

I also have cleaned up how I eat in that there is much less sugar and carbs, and have increased the veggies and eat protein at every meal. I am in my early 50s and also fighting 'the change' so this is a slow process but I am seeing results and have lost 20 lbs since June.

Start by making small lifestyle changes that you can live with without suffering too much - you will not be able to sustain your energy on carrots and celery. However, I find that a really good snack that does hold me is baby carrots and hummus, which is protein. I also grill a lot of chicken, slice it up and put it in a tortilla with sliced avocado and salsa.

Research online the foods that are good for reducing cholesterol and increase those while slowing removing the bad stuff from your diet. So far, I have dropped my cholesterol by 79 pts. in the past 6 months and have 30 pts. to go. I would also like to lose another 25 lbs and the dr. says that with the weight coming off the cholesterol number will drop too.

This will be a slow process and the lifestyle changes will make you feel better and have more energy in the long run. Continue to challenge yourself with the exercise and don't worry about the scale; rather, look at how your clothes fit and over time as you get more in shape it will become easier to stick with the process. Good luck to you and know that you are not alone!

Honored Contributor

Triglyceride levels respond very well to changing the foods one eats, and also to aerobic and resistance exercising. Losing a good amount of weight certainly can also be a factor in lowering these readings.

My levels have been in the 30's since I became a vegetarian back in the 1970's. While they were never as high as yours, even though I was into athletics for years prior to changing the way I ate, my levels were never in the 30's. Usually around 70.

The more I ran(miles and/or time)the lower my try's number became.

Again as I always say, things that work for many do not always work for everyone. Sometimes it is a trial and error venture that many have to do and monitor on their own.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Realize that it took awhile for your level to climb this high, and it will take time, and dedication to bring it down. My mother was very successful in reducing her triglycerides through dietary changes. She ate Cheerios or oatmeal every day, and cut back on bacon, sausage, ham, eggs, and sweets like cookies, cakes and doughnuts. Smaller portions of lean meats, fresh vegetables, and whole grains are very helpful, along with exercise. Very best wishes to you with this challenge.
Respected Contributor

I agree with all here and have nothing more too add. . Mine are high too, although not that high. good luck.
Honored Contributor

I cut all "white" foods (all refined carbs, all grain, all sweet veggies, all fruits except berries and green apples), dairy, and salt a year and a half ago, lost 80 pounds, and my numbers are now all normal. Don't "try" to "cut down". DO IT, and get well. I also exercise several times/week. I have made a lifestyle change, not a diet. For me, this was no slow process, it was a decision that I either do everything I could to make myself well or go on drugs that made me feel awful all the time. Make the investment in your welfare. Start now, with the next thing you put in your mouth.