Honored Contributor

Looking for something to help my son. This is a creepy, crawly, prickly, tingly sensation of the skin that comes from, in his case, a drug he has to take. I know people live with it but we've tried all kinds of lotions and salves, before going to lidocaine (sp?) which I don't want to use. He has it in his legs, fingers, toes and groin area so I can't have anything that might burn there if you know what I mean. Anything I can glean here will be much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Have you talked to his physician? Since they know it is a side effect of the meds he has to take, I am sure they've seen it before and may have some suggestions on things to try?

Honored Contributor

Yes, of course we talked to him-he's the one who told us what it is. Trouble is, he takes several drugs and he isn't sure which one it is. But I am. Still trying different lotions. Doc says lidocaine's the only thing he can think of. I've been on line and there are a gazillion sad stories but no cures.

Honored Contributor

Check out the Mayo Clinic site. Also, maybe a dermatologist? Just thinking out loud right now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Wiki mentions meds at the bottom of its article. I have had a lot of sensations and have found that come-to-the-breath meditaton gives some relief. One can even do one breath meditation.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps this isn't much help, but maybe the MD could specify which Rx is most LIKELY to be the culprit. It sounds like such a terrible feeling to have to deal with. My mom had this and took gabapentin, RXd by an MD. A more natural cure might be what you are seeking though. Good luck and I hope you will find some relief for him.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your input. I remain on a search.

Honored Contributor

JUDALINE: I just thought of this: Call a local 24-hour pharmacist during 'slow' hours. Late at night or very early morning before customers/patients are likely to be in line, waiting for their meds. Pharmacists are very up-to-date and experienced regarding medications, interactions, side effects. And when it's 'slow' for them, they will talk with you and give information for a half hour or more. They are truly genius, IMO.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

I wonder if the drug called Lyrica would help? Hope your son feels better soon.

Trusted Contributor

There must be some kind of topical numbing agent he could rub on that wouldn't cause pain or irritation. Perhaps some type of anti-chafing cream if nothing else. Maybe something used with adults for Depends rashes and such? Something to put a numbing barrier on the skin ? I don't know. I would talk to a head pharmacist and see what they can come up with or call a doctor at a 24-hour urgent care center, or go by there.

Sorry I can't help any better than this. I know it is frustrating.

I pray you will find some help, some relief as quickly as possible.

The only thing I can think of, don't know if it will help or not (ask your doctor), is there is a body cream/lotion called SARNA. It's a steroid-free and fragrance-free sensitive cream doctor's suggest for relief of severe itching and skin sensation's from things like hives, poison ive/oak/sumac and eczema or any skin dermatitis

I can't remember if it is over-the-counter or by prescription. I think it's over the counter or you ask the pharmacist for it. It may be behind the counter, I just can't remember. It may be on the aisle with other anti-itching creams.

I remember it was rather cool and soothing and it is a moisturizer, but not greasy or thick. I know people with eczema and other skin problems use it a lot.

Don't know if it can do anything for him but check with a pharmacist or give it a try.

That's all I can offer you. So sorry.

Best of luck.

Blessings to you both.