Regular Contributor

Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

I just got word two days ago that the drugs some of us have been taking for anxiety or lack of sleep can give us a better chance of getting Alzheimers. I'm freaking out. I have been worried about getting this Disease since my father got it and died from it. My Aunt, Uncle, and a younger half brother all had it. Two have died of it and my Uncle is dying now. He may have days to live. The younger half brother has it now and got it at the age of 69. I have been on a medication for panic attacks since I was twenty five. I am now in my fifties. I am so afraid of Alzheimers hitting me.

It is said that trying to get off of these medications is pretty impossible because it causes so much horror. People have an extremely hard time and just can't take it.

Is there anyone out here that knows about this new study?

Anyone have family members that were on this medication and never got Alzheimers? Thank you for any answers you can give me.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

You need to discuss this with your family Dr, they deal with these questions everyday! Make a list off questions and leave a message with the nurse.

Super Contributor

Re: Anxiety Drugs (Benzo) Give a Good Chance of Getting AlzheimersI have been on a medication since age twenty five and I'm

I second the talking to your doctor advice. I want to add though that I was on a benzo drug regularly for several years. When some guidelines for prescribing benzos changed my doctors no longer wanted to prescribe them. By this point I had already cut back on what I was taking but it was far less difficult than I thought it would be. So if you want to come off them it may not be as bad as you think just make sure you have your supports in place
Honored Contributor

My mother took them for years and lived independently n her own house until she was 90. There is no way to know how your body will respond to a gradual withdrawal process until you get in touch with your physician and give it a try. I have NEVER had difficulty going off an anti depressant OR anti anxiety med, while following Dr.'s orders about doing so. Start now to arm yourself with research. From whom did you get "word" that the medication had that effect? Do you eat a healthy diet, exercise most days and get stimulating mental activity frequently?
Honored Contributor

Have you googled this topic? You might find some comments that would be useful to you.
Super Contributor

One thought is that the medications you have been on have probably helped you live a better life than not being on them. It's just a study and you can't assume it's all true and going to happen.

Yes, talking to a medical professional might help but it depends on how your doctor likes to give out medications. Some do and some don't.

Honored Contributor

Are you speaking of Xanax?

Esteemed Contributor

Give it a few days. Pretty soon there will be a ""new study"" that says benzos ""protect"" the mind.

Respected Contributor

On 11/19/2014 petepetey said:

One thought is that the medications you have been on have probably helped you live a better life than not being on them. It's just a study and you can't assume it's all true and going to happen. I agree

Respected Contributor

On 11/19/2014 Reba055 said:
On 11/19/2014 petepetey said:

One thought is that the medications you have been on have probably helped you live a better life than not being on them. It's just a study and you can't assume it's all true and going to happen. I agree