Honored Contributor

Injured friend annot stand or walk - Need tips during healing process

My friend who is in her 50s was in a car accident almost 2 weeks ago. Nothing is broken but she has soft tissue damage. She moved from the hospital to a physical rehabilitation center Friday. The insurance will no longer be covering for in patient but will probably cover in home PT. Tomorrow may be her last day at the center and going home terrifies her as she cannot really stand or walk.

I need help to identify items that will help her at home. She doesn't know where to begin. I visited her this Saturday and she was in a wheelchair and it was a big stride to transition to a rollator.

I'm hoping to rely on you guys that may know firsthand or secondhand what helpful sites or tips that can make her life easier as she heals. She has a 16 yr old daughter that was in the car and is bruised badly but she can walk without help but cannot carry her heavy book bag. Her husband will try to work from home in the beginning. I know this will be a long continuous journey.

Just as OXO has gadgets that help with mobility, I'm hoping there are other items similar to help around the house to make it easier. TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Injured friend annot stand or walk - Need tips during healing process

Before she leaves rehab the social worker and PT should help her with all of those questions. It would be helpful if someone was with her during the discussion to answer these and other questions.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

I really need more info to try and help with this.

How old is she? What type of soft tissue injury? Upper or lower body, or both?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Contributor

When i broke my leg i had to keep off it for 8 weeks., crutches for bathroom. I had a basket by my side that had all little things that you use all day. Ex. scissors, nail file, tissues, handiwipes, tweezers, mirror, comb, dental floss , napkins, car keys (my car remote goes off sometimes), hand cream anything you can think of. Those are the things you hate to ask someone home to get you, as you have to ask for everything. Wishing her luck.
Honored Contributor

If she's being discharged from a rehab facility, there WILL be a discharge plan. The physical and OT therapists, the social workers and the nursing staff will do an assessment. She will know exactly what she needs and they will refer her to the appropriate providers. It might help if you attend the discharge planning meetings with her. Both my sister and my brother have been in rehab hospitals several times and they always suggest that a friend or family member be part of the meetings. It can be overwhelming to the patients. You really should just speak with your friend and ask her how you can help her.

Contributor

Another thought, they make some cute rolling book bags for her daughter. I think even V.B. might have something like that.
Respected Contributor

Consider the following: raised toilet seat (with or without hand rails), grab bars for the shower, grab bars for the bathroom, bench for the shower, long handled shoe horn, aids for putting on socks, grabber, walker (not rolator, as those can move too fast and she could fall), tray for walker or basket. Also a chair with arms near her dining table and a chair with arms in what ever room she will spend time. And make sure she has a portable phone she can keep near her or a cell phone.

Her husband should go thru the house and remove any tripping hazards... throw rugs, items left on the floor, chairs or tables in passage ways, dog/cat bowls and toys.

Also, someone should organize her clothing so she doesn't have to do a lot of walking around to put together an outfit.

My Mom broke her hip earlier in the year, I've been thru this. Don't wait for the social worker from rehab. The house needs to be made safe and ready before she goes home. Most items are easily available at specialty drug store or online on Amazon. Most items are very inexpensive. Grab bars need to be bolted to the wall/shower, so someone needs a drill and experience (better to hire someone unless her husband is skilled). Raised toilet seats and shower benches are easy to do by yourself, so her husband could handle those.

Once she is back on her feet many of these items can be removed. Don't let the fear of the house looking like a medical facility deter her from doing what is needed to be safe now.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

OP here - I do not live near her and she has immediate family close by. I just thought little tidbits that are useful. For instance I had tear repaired in my knee this summer, I found it helpful to place a chair outside the shower. I put down a towel on the seat. I sit first and swing my legs to get it into the tub. Putting all my weight on the bad knee as I climbed over the tub would not be possible. I dried myself off sitting down also. Tips along the line of Seahorsey. TIA

Sometimes hearing from people who actually gone through it helps tremendously.

Honored Contributor

thank you lavenderjunkie - this was what I was looking for

Esteemed Contributor

The answers above are correct. I was in this situation earlier in the year. We had a meeting and identified what I would need. Will there be someone with her at home. They helped me get the correct wheelchairs and walker. Will she need a shower seat for example.