Respected Contributor

Question About Total Knee Replacement

When one has a total knee replacement, does it make it easier to climb stairs? TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Total Knee Replacement

Not trying to oversimplify, but if you mean that you are finding it difficult to climb stairs because you have severe knee pain when you try to move from one step to the next, it will be easier when you have a new, bionic knee.
Trusted Contributor

If you are able to climb steps now but do not because of the pain, then you will be able to use steps. After I had my knee replaced that was one of my goals with physical therapy and so we worked on it during physical therapy. 3 1/2 days after surgery, I had the choice to go home and receive physical therapy at home, or transfer to the skilled nursing floor. I went to the skilled nursing floor, as I was able to have physical therapy two times a day and occupational therapy once a day. I was in skilled nursing for six days and before I went home we had worked on accessing stairs. You will be surprised how quickly you are able to do things that were so painful before.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Frequent Contributor

I had both my knees replaced - not at the same time but four years apart. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's like having a new life - you can walk and climb stairs and live practically pain free. However, you MUST do your exercises both alone and with your physical therapist or your knees will stiffen up, and your recovery will not be as successful. Best wishes to you!

Honored Contributor

Yes, the new joint does make climbing stairs easier. However for me personally, I have never shaken the feelings of hating to climb stairs, and I avoid them still. The only steps I use regularly in my home are 3 steps in my garage, and I still climb those steps the way I did before surgery. Prior to my surgery I had developed a limp due to the deterioration of my joint. My physical therapist pointed out that I still wanted to limp after surgery, so I had to work as hard mentally as I was physically, to stop the limp, which was a habit, not a need. When I encounter stairs, I still want to climb them the way I did before surgery, which is not a fluid climbing motion of left, right, left.
Super Contributor

I think it all depends upon you, your doctor and your rehabilitation.

My Mom had both knees done and had years of pain free living.

My husband had one knee done and would never have the second knee done, and he has pain every day. He really regrets having the surgery. Cannot wait til I can retire and we can move to warmer climate.

Honored Contributor

That totally depends on the patients general condition and the condition of their other knee.

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 qvcfan526 said:

I think it all depends upon you, your doctor and your rehabilitation.

My Mom had both knees done and had years of pain free living.

My husband had one knee done and would never have the second knee done, and he has pain every day. He really regrets having the surgery. Cannot wait til I can retire and we can move to warmer climate.

I dreaded having my second knee done but am so happy with mine now. See if the surgeon does the nerve block. It made it easier to get around after surgery. This one was easier to rehab, too, even if he moves to a warm climate, a bone on bone knee will hurt.

New Contributor

Fortune,

Knee replacement has been moving from off-the-shelf to custom knees in the last couple of years.

Search on line for information on 3D Printer knee replacement.

If one is medically eligible, the process begins with an MRI of the knee.

A 3D Printer model of the knee is made from the MRI.

Then measurements are made to construct a custom jig for removing just the right amount of bone.

A metal replacement knee is also custom made from the model to the exact size and shape of the original healthy bone.

All is well tested before surgery to be sure the leg will be straight and functional.

Surgery is shorter and following surgery, "there is more mobility, less bleeding, much less trauma to the bone.

Patients have reported faster recovery times and less pain than with traditional knee implants."

There are some excellent print articles on line about this procedure.

There are also videos of the surgery on line in all their gory glory, but great for letting you know what you are getting. (Don't confuse with 3D animations)

The most graphic video came up on a Bing search. It is called "Real Stories, Real Life in the OR". (Graphic warning!)

Try this link and choose from the video results:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=3d+knee+replacement&qpvt=3d+knee+replacement&FORM=VDRE%23view=d...

Other videos show patients giving encouraging, even amazing, testimonials. This is just the kind of thing I have been waiting for, so will be looking into it with my doctors for myself - and for climbing stairs again.

It's a new replacement world out there. May the best be yours.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Noon for going to all the trouble to research and post this amazing info!!! I'm going to one of the top clinics in this area for knee replacement on Nov. 25. I'll be sure to ask them if they use this procedure! You'd think that they'd have the knee thing figured out by now--since they just landed on a comet!! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}