Honored Contributor

Breast Cancer Diagnosis Based on Mammo?

Has anyone been told they had breast cancer based strictly on a follow-up mammo and without the results of a biopsy?

Someone I know was called back for a second mammo after her first one showed "something." This wasn't unexpected because it had been years since her last mammo and technology is so much more advanced, they told her this may happen.

She went for the compression mammo and got a call from her doctor that some calcifications showed up and it was suggested that a biopsy be done. She went for the biopsy and before any procedure was even performed, the doctor sat down and told her she had breast cancer. She said it is her experience that when she sees a mammo that looks this, it is always breast cancer.

I am floored that this doctor told her that without the biopsy results, I don't care what her experience or thoughts are. It has always been my understanding that a mammogram is a screening tool and doesn't detect breast cancer. It detects tumors, growths, calcifications that then need to be biopsied and that is how cancer is determined.

I think this doctor jumped the gun and pray that she is wrong.

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer Diagnosis Based on Mammo?

Hi LD - that is shocking IMO - to diagnose such a life-changing disease just by 2 mammograms, and not a biopsy. I'd really really pressure your friend to get a 2nd opinion w/biopsy. My Mom had bc, and it wasn't diagnosed until the biopsy and ductogram results were in - not basesd on any hunch her doctor had from the mammograms. Ridiculous.

Just found this:

A biopsy is the only sure way to diagnose breast cancer.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/examsandtestdescriptions/forwomenfacinga...

(((LD))) I wish your friend the best.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother was recently called back for 2nd mamo after 1st showed a suspicious lump. Second showed one as well. Took her to a highly regarded Breast surgeon in this state. He told us he thought it was suspicious, but that to be SURE, he needed to do biopsy. He removed the whole lump. Unfortunately, he was correct, and it is cancer. Thankfully, dr. is very optimistic.

Hope your friend has better results. I agree with you, the dr should not have said this without having biopsy. My mothers dr. told us at consultation he really didn't think hers WAS cancer. I just don't think they can know for certain without biopsy. Of course, I have known many who suffered from the "I think I am God and know everything complex."

Honored Contributor

Oh - and I'd also file a complaint against the doctor. Makes you wonder how many women this doctor is misdiagnosing based on a mammagram alone, w/o any biopsy. Makes me fume!

Trusted Contributor

My mammogram and ultrasound both showed a suspicious clarification. It was only until after the results of the core biopsy were in that I was told I had breast cancer.

It's very strange indeed that this doctor would announce the diagnosis before the biopsy results were in. No matter how confident the oncologist is based on their experience, she should never announce the diagnosis until the biopsy report is in hand and she has discussed things with the doctor who performed the biopsy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks MJ and Happycat. She was also told that a mastectomy was the treatment option because the calcifications were too spread across the breast for a lumpectomy. Then the doctor said "Okay. Now we'll do your biopsy!" By this time my friend said she was sobbing and had to lie on this table to have the biopsy done. She thinks they took about 8 pieces out but she said everything was a blur by that point.

My friend called her gyno who referred her to place for the biopsy and the gyno is livid that this doctor made such a diagnosis without biopsy results.

I told her this doctor could be wrong and never should have done that. And when the biopsy comes back negative, she needs to rip that doctor a new one.

kjohnson, it is the doctor who performed the biopsy who told her the diagnosis based on the mammo she was seeing.

Honored Contributor

On 11/12/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Thanks MJ and Happycat. She was also told that a mastectomy was the treatment option because the calcifications were too spread across the breast for a lumpectomy. Then the doctor said "Okay. Now we'll do your biopsy!" By this time my friend said she was sobbing and had to lie on this table to have the biopsy done. She thinks they took about 8 pieces out but she said everything was a blur by that point.

My friend called her gyno who referred her to place for the biopsy and the gyno is livid that this doctor made such a diagnosis without biopsy results.

I told her this doctor could be wrong and never should have done that. And when the biopsy comes back negative, she needs to rip that doctor a new one.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} YOU are a great friend and thank God you told her that. Seriously. Truly outrageous, this doctor's actions.

Esteemed Contributor

Your friend needs to get very far away from this scammy doctor. He's a QUACK!!!!!! Your friend should go to one or 2 other doctors for other opinions. Then, she needs to call her insurance company and report him. I'd also contact the American Medical Assn.!!!!!

Super Contributor

actually I was told that they sometimes know for sure based on the mamo but they should keep their mouths shut until they do a biopsy.
Respected Contributor

I have been through several imaging and then surgery for diagnosis incidents. About 8 I think. Each time the radiologist gives their best guess and they were not always right. I'm OK with that.