Respected Contributor

I want to start taking Co Q 10. How much should you take? Andrew Lessman has it in 100, 200 and 300mg. He also has TruQ -100 or 50mg. Can someone tell me what's the difference. Has it helped with your energy level? Forever Health has it in 50mg. It's also much cheaper there. How do you know how much to take and which one is better? What should I be looking for?

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

We use the Qunol Ultra, 100 mgs. It's supposed to be more readily absorbed than some of the other brands. Our doctor recommends that we take it. Make sure your doctor knows you take it because it can interfere with some medications.

I haven't noticed any more energy, or much of anything else...except that it is really good for the gums. If I miss a few days, I start to get a little gum bleeding again. As long as I take my Co Q10, my gums are great.

We used to use the Costco brand, but it didn't have the same effect on my gum health.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

You should talk to your doctor or at least your pharmacist to make sure you are a good candidate for this supplement.

But first of all, why do you want to take it? You shouldn't just take something for sake of taking it or because you read about it.

Do some reading on NIH or Mayo Clinic about it, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor
We take it WITH Red Yeast Rice, recommended by our doctor. My bloodwork is getting better every time I have it done.
Regular Contributor
My doctor recommended an OTC Co Q 10 supplement because I am taking a statin drug to lower cholesterol. Currently I take one 400mg after supper.
Valued Contributor

Are you near a Trader Joe's? You can get 60 capsules of 100 mg ubiquinol for $19.99. Ubiqunol is absorbed six times better. Kaneka makes all ubiquinol products so you can buy according to price...you will be getting the same thing.

Super Contributor
Kaneka is no longer the only manufacturer of Ubiquinol, they are the only one is the US. There are at least two in China. At the website ubiquinol.org you can find a list of the brands that use Kaneka.
Valued Contributor

Hi redtabby, thanks for the link! Can you show me where the site says the Chinese make ubiquinol (not CoQ10). Kaneka held the patent on ubiquinol since 2007..I can't find online that it expired. I see alibaba has some, but that site hosts a lot of knock offs of dubious quality.

Super Contributor
Sorry, I do not recall where I read the info about the Chinese companies, it was at a site that sold Ubiquinol and they sold Kaneka.
Valued Contributor

I checked Kaneka's website and they still hold the patent..if a company sells ubiqunol, even if Chinese, they are either selling the Kaneka product or doing an illegal knock off. From the site

"Today, there are many brands of Ubiquinol supplements on the market, but all of them use Kaneka’s patented Ubiquinol in their products"