Respected Contributor

Powders that Cause Ovarian Cancer Question

I just recently heard that the use of Baby Powder or Shower to Shower Powder can cause Ovarian Cancer because they contain talc in them. I have been using Baby Powder for many years and now have discontinued using it. I do not understand how the use of something externally can cause something internally unless they mean inhaling it.....not sure how it all works.

My question is can I use something else in their place? I did not use it all over my body only in certain places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Powders that Cause Ovarian Cancer Question

My understanding was that some women use powders as feminine deoderants..... Does anyone know if that's how the powders cause problems?
Trusted Contributor

I use Johnson's Baby Powder Calming Lavender & Chamomile (the cucumber melon is also nice).

They are Talc Free and contain cornstarch.

Honored Contributor

Years ago they said they were finding ovarian tumors to contain particles of talc, leading experts to say do not use talc on your panties, panty hose, on sanitary napkins or pantiliners. Cornstarch based powders are fine to use.

Respected Contributor

Hi,

I looked around on the internet to find talc free body powders. One is Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort Body Powder Aloe Fresh Clean. Burt's Bees also makes one called Burt's Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder. My husband uses the one by Gold Bond. Since he uses it daily for chafing, I buy it in quantity from Drugstore dot com.

There are many articles on the internet about talcum powder and ovarian cancer which go into detail. i'm not sure whether it is definitive that the current talc used in products produced now can contribute to ovarian cancer, but why take a chance.

From what I read it is not a matter of inhaling the powder, but relates to the certain areas of the body where women apply it.

Respected Contributor

I thought most powders no longer contain talc. However, I think Burt's Bees does not use talc.
Honored Contributor

Many women also have problems using corn starch based powders, so all powders can be a no-win. Adding this- corn starch feeds fungal rashes, so some of us can't use THAT either.
Valued Contributor

I've heard this as well and as a uterine cancer survivor it troubles me greatly. What I read about a year ago was that some of the manufacturers have long been aware of the correlation between powders and GYN cancers - shame that no one stepped up to the plate to let us know but corporate profits and fear of lawsuits probably prevented that from happening.

Sickens me, really...how many lives might have been sacrificed to this kind of corporate mentality and greed.

Maria

Honored Contributor

Did anyone else google this? It sounds like smart laywers may have unearthed another gold mine.
Esteemed Contributor

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines