Respected Contributor

I was hospitalized the first week in September for dehydration, a UTI, and an overactive parathyroid gland. My 2nd day in the hospital I was told that I was in atrial fibrillation. So, a cardiologist prescribed Xeralto. I saw him in follow up on October 2nd and I was found to be in normal sinus rhythm. He said to stay on the medication. Last Saturday I was "weeing" bright red blood. Sunday a.m. I went to the E.R. because it was not stopping. After the usual blood work, EKG (I was in normal sinus rhythm) and an ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder, the E.R. doctor told me it was from the Xeralto.

I called my cardiologist (we are now in another state) and he said to stop it for a few days and then re-start.

I discussed this with DH and I am going to call again tomorrow. I do not feel comfortable going on this medication. I don't think the reward is worth the risks.

My question is: has anyone had a problem with this medication?

Honored Contributor

That's a scary list of side effects. I actually asked my orthopedic surgeon if I could take this instead of the Lovenox injections after my TKR. He said he wouldn't recommend that med.

One of the lesser side effects was leg pain, too.

Maybe you should find a cardiologist in AZ. It would take a lot of convincing to get me back on the Xeralto:/

Respected Contributor
On 10/30/2014 tansy said:

That's a scary list of side effects. I actually asked my orthopedic surgeon if I could take this instead of the Lovenox injections after my TKR. He said he wouldn't recommend that med.

One of the lesser side effects was leg pain, too.

Maybe you should find a cardiologist in AZ. It would take a lot of convincing to get me back on the Xeralto:/

I have a cardiologist here. I saw her in January and was told to follow up in a year but then this happened last month. I will call the one back home and take it from there.

I also need to mention I had a kidney stone late Sunday evening that lasted all day Monday until about 8 p.m. However, the little bit of blood I had from that was totally different in color from the weekend.

I needed to change my ortho appt. until next Tuesday because of the kidney stone issues.

Other than that, I feel pretty darned good! It's just been one thing after another and I hope this is the end of it for a LONG while.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

So, Gooday, are you going to ask your cardio back home to prescribe a different med?

I wonder if the Xeralto caused the kidney stone too? Oh wait, I think that can go along with parathyroid?

Respected Contributor

whoa...........i had no idea you were going through all of this .......hey girl friend I will keep good thoughts for you.........positive energy be yours..............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Contributor

I was on Xarelto for all of last year due to a stroke caused by a blood clot in my brain. Coumadin did not thin my blood enough so I ended up on Xarelto. I experienced some rectal bleeding (sorry) and periods so heavy that I could not leave the house. I also experienced burst capillaries in my eyes and face.

It's an extremely powerful drug and I lived in fear that I would have an accident and bleed out. After consulting with my doctor and reducing my risk factors for a clot in other ways, I was able to switch to baby aspirin and feel much better.

Hope this helps, best of luck to you.

Respected Contributor

Good morning, Gooday. I am sorry to read about your troubles with Xarelto. Please do your own research on this drug and others of its class. What you are not likely not being told is that there is no remedy for Xarelto, or any of the other, similar, new anti-coagulants. So, if you experience serious bleeding in your brain from taking Xarelto, there is nothing a neurosurgeon can do to save your life in time. Dialysis might take too long to get the drug out of your system. There is even talk in the medical community that those who take Xarelto should have their blood monitored every month, just like those taking the much older drug, Coumadin. Coumadin has an antidote, however-- Vitamin K-- so if you have a serious bleed while taking Coumadin, there is a chance that the bleed can be reversed.

Many people have had adverse reactions, and some have died from taking Xarelto (and from other anticoagulants, also, including Coumadin.) Do a search of "xarelto lawsuits," and "xarelto adverse events." There is a good article on MedPage Today regarding the newer anticoagulants entitled, "Pradaxa, Xarelto, Eliquis: NOACs' Reversal a Key?" that you might want to read.

Good luck with your research and in making your own, personal, health care decision. Only you, with the assistance of your doctor, can determine what medication will work best for you with the least side effects. We are all different, so what works best for some of us will not work best for all of us.

Super Contributor

Have you read the information that comes with it? It kills people.

Honored Contributor

My Mom had atrial fib for a long time, she took only a full size aspirin everyday, no other blood thinners.