Respected Contributor
Anyone know anything about the above. I have developed pain bottom of my spine going now down back of my thigh to knee. All my friends tell me it is sciatica - not sure of spelling. I go to exercise class 3times a week and teacher gave me some exercises. If you have experience of this would love to hear your views. Been going on now for 6 weeks - decided today to mAke a Drs. Appointment but interested to hear if anyone else experienced this. Than you.
Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 dulwich said: Anyone know anything about the above. I have developed pain bottom of my spine going now down back of my thigh to knee. All my friends tell me it is sciatica - not sure of spelling. I go to exercise class 3times a week and teacher gave me some exercises. If you have experience of this would love to hear your views. Been going on now for 6 weeks - decided today to mAke a Drs. Appointment but interested to hear if anyone else experienced this. Than you.

I do know about Sciatica. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital many years ago with 2 ruptured spinal discs, L-5/S-1, and ended up having open back surgery. If an L-5 disc completely ruptures it generally effects the biggest nerve in your body, which is the Sciatic Nerve. Also is one of the most painful for that reason.

Also had to have a ruptured L-3 removed, but this did not cause Sciatic Nerve pain. For this it was more numbness on one side of my body from the hip down, and at times, pain that was around my knee joint.

I prefer a doctor that specializes in the spine and I am fortunate that one of my good friends just happens to be one. Most reputable spine doctors will do an MRI if there is even a tiny doubt in their mind about where the source of the pain is originating. Other types of testing does not always give the necessary results.

If you doctor is not sure of the source I would ask her/him to prescribe an MRI and go from there.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor
My only advice is to find a good Chiropractor. I had sciatica for about two months and should have gone earlier. This doctor got rid of this when I had it 6 years ago. I hope you are welcome soon.
Respected Contributor
Thank you for your replies will check with my Dr.
Super Contributor

I have to keep my body aligned when exercising or I get sciatica. I have been to chiropractors and they have helped, but the sciatica will return if I am not careful with the exercises I do or the way I sit. Some doctors recommend aspirin or other OT pain killers until the inflammation is gone. Usually, the chiropractor begins with x rays and goes from there. Sciatica is a common ailment. Good Luck.

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 Ranchergal said:

I have to keep my body aligned when exercising or I get sciatica. I have been to chiropractors and they have helped, but the sciatica will return if I am not careful with the exercises I do or the way I sit. Some doctors recommend aspirin or other OT pain killers until the inflammation is gone. Usually, the chiropractor begins with x rays and goes from there. Sciatica is a common ailment. Good Luck.

I also had a friend, that has since died, that was a Sports Chiropractor. I had him adjust me for the 3 crushed vertebrae in my neck. While I did have back issues once in awhile, my main source during several years was in my cervical area. He was able to reduce the recovery time after I had, what they call in sports "a nerve stinger injury", because of these crushed vertebrae.

Regardless of a spine issue, if one gets relief from a Medical Doctor or Chiropractor be it from an "alignment" or even from surgery of the back? If the right exercises are not done on a regular basis? Chances are pretty good no matter what the source of the relief, yes even open back surgery, they will continue to have issues in their spine, be it Cervical/Thoracic or Lumbar area.

Once a certain area is "fixed?" if not maintained it will represent itself as pain or numbness in another part of the spine, so in the opinion of both of my doctor friends? Exercise is pretty much mandatory or their patients eventually suffer the consequences.

Just sayin!

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Just went today for MRI for that very reason. Results showed I have nerves coming in contact with bone. Will have an epidural next Friday. Then a second one in two weeks. I went to a pain doctor for this.

Honored Contributor

I had a severe case of this awhile back and had for many years but thanks to my excellent physical therapist, I no longer suffer from it. He gave me great exercises to do at home to help prevent it and to do if I ever have the issue again. I'd really recommend a physical therapist. I am so thrilled not to have that pain anymore!

Frequent Contributor
I have a severe pain going down the back of my leg to my foot . I can't drive for the terrific pain in my foot when I press the break or gas pedal. I finally went to the doctor this week who has set me up with a test to rule out a blood clot. He didn't mention siatica which would be my guess. He thinks it's a pulled muscle - didn't day what the treatment would be - I doubt if he would refer me to a chiropractor
Honored Contributor

My MIL had this, and told me all she could do was go to bed until the pain left, so this would be days, not possible for everyone.