Esteemed Contributor

Q: What "unhealthy food" was hardest to give up? Bonus: How did you do it?

I saw this on a Facebook post and thought it might be an interesting topic here.

For me, it's potato chips which are my gateway drug to sweets such as ice cream and cookies. I'd never sit down and either sugary stuff unless a salty snack had me craving these things. Vicious cycle!

I did this the only way I know how: Just close my eyes and walk past the salty snack food aisle!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Re: Q: What ""unhealthy food"" was hardest to give up? Bonus: How did you do it?

Carbs. Just don't buy bread. Eat recipes without carbs. Cravings went away. Lost 10 lbs.
Honored Contributor

Re: Q: What ""unhealthy food"" was hardest to give up? Bonus: How did you do it?

I don't give anything up, I just make sure I don't eat them often. Like you, the most important thing is for me to not let them in the house in the first place. If I do buy something like a box of bakery cookies, I bring the rest to work to share so I don't eat them all myself.

Trusted Contributor

Sweets! In truth, I haven't given them up, but I have cut back. I have a sweet tooth and frankly I don't want to give them up completely, but I also don't want to overdo it.

One thing that helps me is I used Listerine mouth spray. It tastes terrible, so if I have a craving, I just give myself a little spray--anything I eat immediately afterwards ends up tasting like Listerine, so I don't want to eat anything afterwards. The added bonus is it kills germs that can cause bad breath (just like they say in the commercials {#emotions_dlg.devil2})

Super Contributor

Probably yellow corn chips. I cut out carbs....no problem. I just enjoyed the flavor and crunch of corn chips.
Super Contributor

I eat whatever I want. Everything in moderation.

Super Contributor

I firmly believe "giving up" any one food only sets you up to crave it and is not a realistic or balanced way of looking at food. No food is "bad", however the abuse and over-indulgence in it may lead to negative consequences like weight gain, high cholesterol, etc.

Be in control of your own food choices as much as possible and try not to let emotional eating take over. Have everything you LOVE, but have it in moderation. When no food is looked at as being forbidden, it becomes more manageable. Life is way too short to not enjoy what you love in a balanced way.

Honored Contributor

Sugar, salt, and grease are my worst enemies.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/30/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I don't give anything up, I just make sure I don't eat them often. Like you, the most important thing is for me to not let them in the house in the first place. If I do buy something like a box of bakery cookies, I bring the rest to work to share so I don't eat them all myself.

This, this and this!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

When I started learning about food (and non-food), I just gravitated toward whole foods and eating at home more and less on pre-made food and eating out.

Sugar and sodium are easy to moderate when you make all of your own meals and snacks and eat at home. The biggest sources of sugar and sodium are in pre-packaged/prepared/dining establishments.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN