Trusted Contributor

Could someone help with something? Are disabled spouses (under the age of 65) entitled to monthly SS benefits if their spouse dies before reaching retirement age?

In other words: Wife is 56 y.o., and is on full medical disability. Husband was 55 years old, still working when he died. Is wife entitled to survivor's monthly benefits?

The reason I'm asking- I'm confused about the one-time death payment of two hundred, some dollars and monthly benefits.

Thank you for your help. the SS website is confusing to navigate.

Contributor

Re: Social Security question

Try this link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan/onyourown2.htm

Widows cannot apply for benefits online -- you'll need to visit your local social security office.

Trusted Contributor

You should give Social Security a call about your particular situation. My interpretation is once you hit 65, either your or your late husband's benefits, whichever is greater, will replace disability. That's just my take on it but give them a call.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

lacey,

I'd suggest calling your local office in case there's something you need to know further. I have learned in my life to go straight to the source and get your correct answer once. I could only give you info how it worked in my family. You can ask them more questions if you call them directly. It saves so much time to go right to the source and you can get your questions answered.

Esteemed Contributor

Unless rules have changed,you do not have to go in person ,I did mine over the phone.

Respected Contributor

A visit to the local SS office is an eye opener in itself. Still my personal experiences have been positive. I wish you the same.

Honored Contributor

I know my SIL not disabled could not collect survivor benefits when my brother her husband died. She had to wait until she was 62 to collect.

Honored Contributor

Social Security has a website that gives the details you are asking about. A disabled spouse can collect as early as age 50, but must have been disabled for a certain period of time before the spouse death.
Trusted Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Tissyanne said: Social Security has a website that gives the details you are asking about. A disabled spouse can collect as early as age 50, but must have been disabled for a certain period of time before the spouse death.

Thank you for the tip. I have read the website and find it confusing. I guess my question is: If I am on total disability(disability started 4 years ago), and already collecting SSI, at 56 years of age-and my working spouse has died at age 55-am I entitled to any other monthly benefits? I do have an appt. with the SS office, but I was just wondering if someone had first hand experience with this.

Honored Contributor

I would think that , like anyone else, she would have to put in a claim and go through the process.