Respected Contributor

OTC Non habbit forming sleep aids?

Has anyone taken these long term? Do they continue to work or do you get immuned to them? Are the really non habit forming?

I have taken these for a few days now and they work wonders. My brain just can't quit at night without a little help. I just lay and worry/think. I'm just a little leary to keep taking them. I feel so much better though.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: OTC Non habbit forming sleep aids?

I'm not sure but most on here know I've been going through the same exact thing.

What has helped me is on Vitacost they have a Melatonin/5HTP combo - I take 2 of those before bed also Magnolia works for me too.

Then I have the OTC sleep aide called "Mid-Nite" and if I wake up and can't get back to sleep I dissolve one of those in my mouth and it usually does the trick.

Insomnia (hormonal) is awful, I'm right there will ya and feel your pain Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Exercise!

Respected Contributor

My doctor told me to take OTC sleep aids. She said that they typically have fewer side effects than medication that she could prescribe, so I have been using Sam's Club Simply Rigth Sleep Aid (Diphenhydramine HCI 50 mg-2 bottles of 96 soft gels for $8.98). They let me sleep. I don't feel groggy during the day & they are inexpensive.

Respected Contributor

On 10/28/2014 terrier3 said:

Exercise!

LOL- I work out 6 days a week for an hour and am very active all the time, I also have 3 big dogs I walk most every day. It sounds so easy to those that don't suffer because it just sounds like...JUST SLEEP, I wish it were that easy, I was a AWESOME sleeper my whole life, I've never taken ANY sleep aide or knew of them really until last year, it came on all of a sudden for me.

So, exercise may help some but, not all of us...

Respected Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Sandgirl said:

I'm not sure but most on here know I've been going through the same exact thing.

What has helped me is on Vitacost they have a Melatonin/5HTP combo - I take 2 of those before bed also Magnolia works for me too.

Then I have the OTC sleep aide called "Mid-Nite" and if I wake up and can't get back to sleep I dissolve one of those in my mouth and it usually does the trick.

Insomnia (hormonal) is awful, I'm right there will ya and feel your pain Smiley Sad

I tried the melatonin and it didn't work for me. I will look for "Mid-Nite". Sounds like something I need.

I've been taking Equate Nighttime Sleep Aid (Diphenhydramine HCI) and it is working great. You only take one little gel cap before bed.

Honored Contributor

I go in spurts. Most nights, I take a half a Unisom tablet. Works great. Then for awhile I'll switch off to a low dose melatonin tablet. Both seem to work for me and have worked for several years, without any need to increase the dosage. Hope it continues.

Esteemed Contributor

You could try Benadryl but that gives some people restless leg syndrome......melatonin works for me...

Respected Contributor

On 10/28/2014 Dusty1 said:

My doctor told me to take OTC sleep aids. She said that they typically have fewer side effects than medication that she could prescribe, so I have been using Sam's Club Simply Rigth Sleep Aid (Diphenhydramine HCI 50 mg-2 bottles of 96 soft gels for $8.98). They let me sleep. I don't feel groggy during the day & they are inexpensive.

my dr told me the same thing and said that NO SLEEP is worse for us than taking something to help us sleep so if it works for you - DO IT!! Some nights I have to take zzzQuil, same thing as you take just in liquid form and I agree, it works wonders!

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Melatonin. It does not work 100% of the time for me, but is still a big big help. Start with the 3 dosage.

Not habit forming, at least for me. I seemed to have cycled through my insomnia, luckily.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York