Esteemed Contributor

I am working on my fitness and increasing the number of push-ups I can do. I can do ten and then I wait and do ten again.

Do you all do push-ups? How many can you do?

I want to increase the amount I can do.

Honored Contributor

Yes. But I don't like doing them.

Honored Contributor

Yes. My husband and I have a push up competition. He always beats me. I beat him doing sit ups.

Super Contributor

no

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/26/2014 brii said:

Yes. My husband and I have a push up competition. He always beats me. I beat him doing sit ups.

Wow, that's impressive!

I would ultimately like to be able to do pull-ups (or chin-ups, whatever you call them), but I've never been able to do a pull-up.....

Honored Contributor

Pull ups are really hard. I don't do those.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine having enough strength to do a pull-up! You would probably have to have an "athletic build," and I don't.

Honored Contributor

I do push ups through yoga, as we do in sun salutations. Recently we have been holding the plank pose for two minutes (he times us), and that's also good for you. Side plank also works.

Respected Contributor
For me, the hardest part of an Insanity workout (similar to P90X) is the upper body stuff. The push ups include leg and arm lifts and are killers.
Honored Contributor

Do you do push-ups?

I do decline pushups and change the height of my feet from time to time. For me I just drag out some piece of furniture we have in our home, or sometimes just use the steps leading to our basement.

These types of pushups work every single upper body muscle group, including the one many like to see results, the core/abdominal muscle group. Doing them this way will increase strength a bit and also can be use to tone these muscles, all at the same time. Not for those that have any serious shoulder or elbow joint issues because they do put more strain on this part of the anatomy.

hckynut(john)