Occasional Contributor

New questions they asked at the Doctor's office last week

Not sure where I should have put this question. Went to doctor last week and the nurse will always asked if on the same meds, basic question than she asked

do you smoke

do you wear your car seat

do you have guns in your home

I asked where did these questions come from, never were asked before and she stated our government needed the information.

Have any of you on this board been asked questions like this before????????????????????

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New questions they asked at the Doctor's office last week

Other than the smoking question, no.

I've been asked if I smoke for as far back as I can remember. But I've never been asked the other questions, and I've seen 3 doctors in the past two weeks, one as recently as yesterday.

Kiss

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've been asked. I have no problem with answering these questions.

Respected Contributor

Only the smoking one.

Although we have been asked the last two weeks when we went to physical therapy if we had traveled internationally or been in contact with anybody who had. (They know we haven't as they see us twice a week but I am glad they are asking).

Honored Contributor

I've been asked about smoking when at a new Drs office at the first visit, but not the other questions.
Trusted Contributor

Yes -- all those ?s and a few more -- do you feel depressed, do you feel safe in your home (or something similar -- asking about abuse), etc. my dr's office started asking those ?s several years ago.
Valued Contributor

Just had my Medicare yearly wellness physical & wasn't asked any of those questions...she did ask me how many hours of sleep I usually get and how often I exercise...kind of odd questions, I thought...
Occasional Contributor

My pediatrician always asks some version of these. Also, do the kids wear helmets on bikes or skateboards.

I think it's just the doctor being thorough. The government has nothing to do with it.

Honored Contributor

Do you smoke is always a question my doctors have asked me (never have, never will). Never the other two though, not so far.

Respected Contributor

Due to ACA regulations, I believe.