Respected Contributor

I've had a sore throat and glands for about four months and finally saw an ENT. After having several scope tests to rule out other issues and trying an antibiotic his conclusion is that I have chronic tonsillitis. I am a little concerned, I heard that the older you are the worse the surgery is. I am in my mid fifties. Has anyone had this done when you were older. One of my daughters had it done in her mid twenties and had a really rough time with it.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Need to Have Tonsils Out

I had my tonsil out at 51. That was several years ago and I did great. So will you. I believe that what you have heard is an old wives tale. With today's technology I wouldn't worry. I had absolutely no pain after with the meds they gave me. I suffered with strep throats all my life until the tonsils turned abscessed and almost killed me. So go for it and get those old wives tales out of your head. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Super Contributor

I had mine out at 24 and it wasn't bad at all. Just a sore throat to be expected. My only complaint is they never once served me ice cream !!!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Mine came out at 33. My most vivid memory is that my mouth tasted terrible for more than a week. Otherwise, not a difficult recovery.

Super Contributor

Hate to report...I had a girl friend who had them out as an adult.....it was very painful. Very hard on her. Hopefully these other positive posts out shine. The negative ones. Best to you!
Honored Contributor

My daughter had them out last year. She was 13.

I don't know why it's more painful as an adult.

Take care of yourself and eat a lot of popsicles.

Honored Contributor

I had mine out at 16 when I was having problems swallowing. Still had that problem after they removed my tonsils. My swallowing problem did not go away until after I started taking thyroid medication after I was diagnosed hypothyroid. I don't think I needed my tonsils removed. A girl I went to school with had hers taken out the day before me. We were both in the same room. She had a rough time back then at 16. They took out her adenoids. They did not take out my adenoids because they said they were really small. She seemed to be in a lot of pain. Glad I did not go through what she did. Everyone is different. Hope all goes well for you. They don't recommend dairy products after surgery so no ice cream. Stock up on cold things as it feels good on your throat like Italian ice, popsicles, sorbet, jello, juice. After the 1st day you will want some soft foods on hand like soup. Don't eat anything, hot, spicy or hard foods. You won't feel like eating much for a couple days. I ate a lot of popsicles.

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 lennox25 said:

I had mine out at 24 and it wasn't bad at all. Just a sore throat to be expected. My only complaint is they never once served me ice cream !!!!!!!!! {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

I know. They would not give me ice cream either. They said no dairy since it leaves that film in your mouth, throat. I guess they don't want any unnecessary coughing from the film milk, ice cream leaves in your throat.

Honored Contributor

I had my tonsils removed at 19, just a couple of weeks before I got married. This was before Day Surgery, so I spent 2 days in the hospital and all meals were broth, jello, and ice cream. The day I came home from the hospital I ate fried chicken livers, and also went out for a hamburger and fries that night; recovery was a breeze for me, and the surgery put an end to my chronic tonsillitis. My oldest daughter had her tonsils removed at age 30, also because of chronic tonsillitis; her last round with it, resulted in5 days of outpatient IV treatment. Surgery and recovery was a breeze for her as well. The key is to drink a lot of fluids to keep your throat moist at all times; seriously, every 15 minutes or so you need to take a drink of something, let ice melt in your mouth, or eat a Popsicle. The DON I was working for at the time my daughter had her surgery, told me that the reason children usually have post-op bleeding, is because they won't drink fluids because their throat is sore, and the throat tissue dries out completely and bleeds. She told me to push the fluids on my daughter round the clock for the first 3 days, in order to keep her throat moist and help it heal. My daughter kept a glass of something by her bed, and we took turns setting our cell phone alarms to wake us, so that she stayed on her drinking schedule through the night. She had her surgery 10 days before Christmas, and was eating ham, turkey and dressing with us on Christmas Day. The olives on the veggie tray stung a little, but she ate them anyway! Her scabs came off right after Christmas, she had a recheck on the 28th, and with doctors permission, she drove to Myrtle Beach for New Years. Like anything else, I think you have to go into it with a good attitude and the determination to make it a success. Best wishes to you with your procedure.
Super Contributor

luvpoos, I had mine out at age 26. I was still in college and a friend who had hers out as an adult, told me she lost 10 lbs. afterwards. I was looking forward to that !! I had mine out during Christmas break, and there was NO way I was going to miss out on eating all of the holiday goodies!! The surgery was out-patient and went just fine. I proceeded to eat the Christmas cookies, candies, etc. until it hurt so bad that I had to stop. No weight loss for me!! I trulely believe you'll be just fine.