Honored Contributor

Need help with meaning of numbers on cataract replacement lenses

I've had one eye done last May. Cataract problems have disappeared. But my distance vision is reduced, also. I'm farsighted and wear glasses for reading and computer. Does reduction have something to do with that number? Nearest doc to get a second opinion from is 100 miles away in bad traffic, so please don't tell me to ask a doctor. I'm planning on going back to original doctor Dec. 2 for the second eye. I just want some reassurance what he did was right for me. If necessary I would switch docs if there is a serious problem here.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help with meaning of numbers on cataract replacement lenses

My understanding was that the number on the lens is from the maker and is some sort of industry standard. Before picking a ""model"" the MD first has to measure the axis and power. But the fourth variable is the actual placement in the eye and this is where picking a good MD comes in.

If it were me I would not go ahead with the second eye until the first one was fixed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with meaning of numbers on cataract replacement lenses

I have a Multi-focal ""iol lens"" in my left eye. Decided to pay extra to have this done so I would no longer have to wear glasses. First went to bifocals and then for many years wore trifocals. I have no idea what the numbers mean but I can tell you that having a Multi-focal in my left eye and a Mono-focal ""iol lens"" in my right eye allows me to read and see distances very well without wearing any glasses.

hckynut(john)