Esteemed Contributor

I recently posted about receiving a call from the radiologist's office that they want to speak to me about the mammogram they took a couple of weeks ago. Since I'm a 8-1/2 yr survivor of ovarian cancer, this call shocked me - especially when they left a message on my answer machine Friday morning and didn't call me back. Yesterday, I rec'd a letter in the mail and I just called back - and my appt is next Thursday. The letter said I have dense breasts (I never knew that) -- and I found an article by the American Cancer Society which described my situation and others. I'm now more confident that I may not have breast cancer -- and I'm posting their link so others can learn something as well. I'll keep u up-to-date on my situation. Thanks for being so helpful. Sandy, Oxnard, CA

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/features/if-youre-called-back-after-a-mammogram

Respected Contributor

Best of luck!

Esteemed Contributor
Best of luck Kivah!
Contributor

Hoping for a good outcome.

Super Contributor

I just had a breast ultrasound for dense breasts - all went very well.... Made me feel very anxious in the office but I walked out with a load off my shoulders. Hope all goes well with your appointment and I will keep in touch.

Trusted Contributor

Great information, thank you for providing it. Best of luck to you that all is well.

Honored Contributor

kivah--I have been going thru the very same thing as your latest adventure for the last 7 years. I have dense breasts and they were always having me come back for more pictures and I would be fine but I needed to come back in 6 months for a check up. Had a few biopsies on each breast more than once and always ultra sounds and a few MRI mammos too. All were good. And I stayed on top of these appts and then I found a lump in my left breast that turned out to be cancer in 2012. I'm fine now but----the key here is to be vigilant and to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, do your self exams and if something doesn't look or feel right, to call immediately for a check up. I don't mean to freak you out but you need to trust your gut about your boobs{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}---hey that should go on a t-shirt-------I'm sure you will be fine just be aware!!! Good luck and you know there is a cancer survivors thread here too--go post there as well.

Honored Contributor

kivah, fingers crossed for you.

I got the same call a few years back. My dr.'s office left a message on my machine to call them and I knew it was about my mammogram. They didn't really say much, only that something showed up that needed to be looked at further. They did tell me it wasn't showing the way breast cancer typically does but something was off. They sent me for a compression mammogram.

I had the compression mammo. done and they read it while I was there and gave me a report. They told me I was fine and that I have dense breast tissue.

I had a mammo done in April and everything came back clear.

Regular Contributor

the whole process can be very nerve racking.. I went yesterday and opted for their new digital mammography w/ 3D imaging.. they said insurance might not pay for it and if not it would be $25.00 for me to pay. they said less call backs are needed w/this as it gives better pictures..and can detect smaller things.

Honored Contributor
On 10/23/2014 sophiamaria2 said:

the whole process can be very nerve racking.. I went yesterday and opted for their new digital mammography w/ 3D imaging.. they said insurance might not pay for it and if not it would be $25.00 for me to pay. they said less call backs are needed w/this as it gives better pictures..and can detect smaller things.

I only get the 3D mammos now and I get my results immediately and never have to wait. I go in Feb for a MRI mammo and if that is all clear then it's back to once a year but using the 3D. And $25 is a deal to pay IMHO. It'll be 2 years on Oct 30th that I had my last chemo treatment-------big ,huge, long sigh................{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}