New Contributor
Can anyone recommend some good shoes that I can wear to work while suffering from a bad case of plantar fasciitis? I have orthotics, have been doing the suggested exercises, etc. and I now have good days and bad days (that's an improvement because for a couple of months it was all bad days!). I have tried all kinds of shoes including the professional Dansko clogs but everything is a killer. Have sized up thinking that might be the problem but that hasn't made a difference either. The only shoes that are somewhat comfy are my Slogger clogs which are bright blue with dog footprints on them! My employer would be understanding about informality but those would be going over the line! All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Occasional Contributor

I definitely understand your pain- I had plantar fasciitis that was so bad I could not walk to the bathroom in the am. I started wearing Vionics about 3 years ago and I have absolutely no pain today. The line now has a variety of styles so I think you could find something appropriate for work. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a pair of sketchers sport that I purchased to wear to the gym. I developed pf for the first time in my 69 years and boy does that hurt. I bought some gel inserts that just go in the heel of the shoe. I wore my tennis shoes every day, all day, with the gel inserts and the pf was gone within a few weeks. We have hardwood floors and I think walking on them barefoot, or with just a sock, contributed to the problem. I purchased the heel gel inserts at the drug store and it made a huge difference in healing. I had read about that somewhere and it really helped.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I just went through MONTHS of pain with bursitis in my heel. OMG it was awful! I could barely walk, so I understand what you're going through. I had the special orthotics made, tried the OTC insoles and nothing worked. The most comfy shoes I could wear were my Clarks clog type shoes. But even then I could barely walk.

I finally had to go get "the shot". It took a few weeks to kick in but man what a relief to be able to actually walk without pain.

My foot doctor sells Merell and the one show that the Australian dudes on Q sell - something by Dr. Weil.

Trusted Contributor

RedConvertible, what is the shot and do you ask your regular doctor for one? I also have a flare up of PF and cannot put weight on my heel. I don't think I knew of a shot we can get for it. Is it mostly just a pain shot that helps for a short time? Pardon my ignorance about it, but I am one of those who rarely have pain and rarely go to the doctor. Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Birkenstocks all but cured my PF, but all feet are different. Stil, I keep a pair of Birks by my bed every single night, and if I get leg cramps I WEAR THEM TO BED, and within minutes, cramps are gone.
Respected Contributor
On 10/22/2014 suzieQ4me said:

RedConvertible, what is the shot and do you ask your regular doctor for one? I also have a flare up of PF and cannot put weight on my heel. I don't think I knew of a shot we can get for it. Is it mostly just a pain shot that helps for a short time? Pardon my ignorance about it, but I am one of those who rarely have pain and rarely go to the doctor. Thanks!

I think it's a steroid. They inject it directly into your foot depending on if it's the bursa or the fascia. You can discuss it with your foot doctor. My pain was bad. I got orthotics which only helped for a few weeks then it was back to pain and not being able to walk. So "the shot".

For me the shot was to help the inflammation in the bursa and to relief pain. My doctor said one shot should do the trick. I've heard somewhere that you may have to go back at some point for another one. We'll see.

You can do a search for PF and it will talk about symptoms and options to help.

Honored Contributor

I have high arches, so my PF flares if I wear something flat without arch support.

Crocs have been my lifesaver (I wear the thong style not the clog style, but not all thongs have arch support, so you have to look at each shoe).

I wear my Crocs for my house slippers.

Rykas and Nikes also have great arch support.

My podiatrist said anything with arch support or it has to have at least a 2" heel.

When I adhere to those rules, I have no problems.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Here's an article telling about the shot.

Esteemed Contributor

I get a cortisone shot for bursitis in my hip. It works wonders for me. Good luck. Hope you find some relief! LM