Super Contributor

Anyone else get up really early and not because of a job?

I generally get up between 3:30 AM an 4:00AM everyday. I go to sleep about 10:00 PM. I am not working now, and find I just wake up at this early time of day ready to go.

When I was working I had odd hours... got home about 8PM at night.. ate dinner late.. fell asleep about 1:30AM... I feel a lot better now eating my dinner about 5PM and fasting throught the night until morning. A full 12 hours no snacking. When I was working I ate my dinner SO LATE... and went to bed with a full tummy.

I never enjoyed my sleep until this last couple of years where I can go to bed when I want to and not by a work schedule. I take plenty of herbs in the evening for sleep, drink Chamomile tea only in the afternoon and through to bed time to help me sleep well.

I never use to value my sleep... now I LOVE MY SLEEP!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else get up really early and not because of a job?

Hey gazelle--sounds like me-----I have been waking up at that same time for years. Should just get up and get my day going but have fam members that may not want to hear a vacuum running at 5 in the a.m. Go fig!? Have never slept great--I'm lucky if I get 5 or 6 hours in and then thats not quality sleep at all.

Respected Contributor

When I worked, I had to be on the job no later than 7. Now in the summer I'm out walking my dog before 6 and in the winter I'm still awake before 6. I seem to have a different kind of joy and energy for the day. I loved my job, but now I get to decide, for the most part, what my days look like. I never thought I'd be this busy after working. Exercise classes, helping with an 85 yr old friend, volunteer work, traveling, and my granddaughter keep me on my toes. Then the perks of lunch and movies during the day with friends or just me. Life is a gift and there's nothing like a sunrise over the mountains, or sunset on the ocean.

Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 wagirl said:

Hey gazelle--sounds like me-----I have been waking up at that same time for years. Should just get up and get my day going but have fam members that may not want to hear a vacuum running at 5 in the a.m. Go fig!? Have never slept great--I'm lucky if I get 5 or 6 hours in and then thats not quality sleep at all.

I just treasure my mornings... the quiet... and peace. Love those early morning walks in the spring when it is light early... just the birds, me and my lovely little dog.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been retired for six years and still get up at the same time I did when I was working. Between 5 and 5:30. Last night I only got about two hours of sleep and I still woke up at the same time. I've never been able to sleep in and make up for lost sleep. I also love the mornings. My favorite time of day. I go to bed around 8:30 and watch TV for about an hour (with my two dogs and cat sharing the bed).

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

Not me. I am solar powered, so I start shutting down as soon as it gets dark, and wake up with the dawn.

I thought getting a dog might mess with my sleep schedule, but he's great: the later it gets light in the morning, the longer he sleeps in too {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

I've been retired for about 10 years now, but still wake up early. I have a dog who definitely can tell time. He wants to get up at 5:00 A.M. every day, including weekends. And he wants to eat at 5:00 every evening. At 12:30 he wants to go outside for an afternoon break and again he wants out at about 10:15 in the evening. He was six when we got him, and I guess he came from a home with structured hours, but he is right on time every day and night. So I get up at 5:00 and although I go to bed fairly early, he gets me up shortly after ten to take a night time break.

Trusted Contributor

Even though we are still working and have to awaken early, we've not used an alarm clock in years. We have six furry feline alarm clocks who are ready for their breakfast at 5:00 a.m. Our sole male cat, who will turn 19 years old in a few months, has decided that he'd really like breakfast now at 4:00 and he does his best to talk us into getting out of bed at that time. DH and I are both near to retirement age and I have a feeling that even when we retire, we will still be awakening early....the cats will make sure of that.

I refuse to feed any cat before 5:00!

Honored Contributor

I used to be a late sleeper and went to bed late as well. If it wasn't for work, I could have easily slept until 10-11 AM. However, the past five years or so, I wake up before the sun rises, which is pretty early in the morning in the winter. I try to get back to sleep, but I just can't. So I eat my "dinner meal" at about 4 PM, and am ready to lie down around 7 or so. I usually fall asleep for about a half hour, then I can watch some TV, but hardly ever make it through the 10 PM shows anymore. So I have to watch them on ON DEMAND during the day.

I guess aging changes one's circadian rhythm (just like it changes everything else).

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I do not like to get up early, and don't, unless my husband has a VA appt that requires early labs.