Esteemed Contributor

Asked My Neuro Today What I Could Do for My Aging Brain

Since I was in to see my neuro, thought I'd ask him what I should do with my recently retired 67 year old aging brain. He said 2 things:

1. Read, read, read; and,

2. Be active

Just thought I'd share this sage advice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Asked My Neuro Today What I Could Do for My Aging Brain

Is there anything you dreamed about doing before you retired that you now have the time to do? Our local junior college has given me the opportunity to reconnect to music in ways I hadn't imagined before I started. Although I'm older than you are, I'm preparing to begin a graduate degree in some area of applied music. My "aging brain" seems to be doing OK with it, LOL.
Respected Contributor

My mother just passed suddenly at almost age 88 (a few weeks from her birthday.) She just dropped. But before, she was absolutely sharp as a tack. We have a video of her doing a Barbara Walter thing, interviewing a club of friends in their 90's. They were all discussing what they did for their longevity and my mom did a spontaneous interview on camera. It's delightful and it shows how sharp she is and her friends as well.

One thing my mom did was read, read read as you put up here. I looked at the books on her table and the last book she was reading--and re-reading was a biography of Robert Oppenheimer. She read primarily history and political books, mainly history. Also art books. And my mom did not get to go to college--her education was during her life and later, her career which she took up in mid life.

She also was very active. She did all her own housework, only having some assistance for very heavy work and repairs. She vacuumed, dusted, cleaned, did laundry, and watered the landscaping, which was pretty strenuous (keeping trees alive in a dry climate during a severe drought, at one point, watering fifty trees on the property with a hose dragged over rough terrain.)

Mom also paid strict attention to her finances and accounts, balancing her checkbook and writing up her accounts in a ledger, rather than relying on online statements. But she did use a computer, and very competently too.

Mom ate pretty well--we got on her after Dad died because like many seniors, she found eating alone boring. But she bought a lot of fish and turkey, didn't eat beef very often, made her own foods, ate canned and prepared foods almost never. Not much in the way of sweets or fatty things. Coffee once a day and tea there after.

She found a social group or two so she wouldn't be isolated. She volunteered for the Hadassah, collecting their dues, and joined a group of seniors who lunched every week.

Summary: movement, socializing, reading, good diet, and ...well, good genes. She had lung problems--if she hadn't smoked in her youth and young womanhood, who knows if she'd still be with us.

Mom had a great life--but we always want more and better, don't we? I think she had a great key to keeping one's mind sharp and getting the best quality out of life.

Trusted Contributor

One thing I've heard and I try to practice now and then is to change up your routine in small ways -- it gets your brain engaged and working.

For example, change your route to a place you frequent (such as the grocery store).

Honored Contributor

My mother was a reader all her life, did the hardest crossword puzzles in the world, could do math in her head, yet still got Alzheimer's. She was on of the most intellectual people I knew.

I think you can not have the power over some of these diseases no matter how much there is a perception that we can

Super Contributor

Although I am not a professional, nor am I giving advice, in my opinion, I would (and do everyday, regardless of age) eat good plant-based oils and fats. Your brain needs them. Research this and read and read about how the human brain is a fatty organ.

Edited to add: Toss out every single "food" item which has hydrogenated fats/oils, partially hydrogenated fats/oils, trans fats/oils, trans fatty oils, shortening, margarine.

Why? Research this and read and read and read about them, why they were created, and dig into why at one time some countries banned them to see what affect it would have on the USA's health and intelligence before they incorporated them for EXPORT only in their countries.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/21/2014 jackthebear said:

My mother was a reader all her life, did the hardest crossword puzzles in the world, could do math in her head, yet still got Alzheimer's. She was on of the most intellectual people I knew.

I think you can not have the power over some of these diseases no matter how much there is a perception that we can

ITA -- there is much we do not know about Alzheimer's. But I still believe that keeping your brain active improves the quality of your life.

Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 vaccinia said:

ITA -- there is much we do not know about Alzheimer's. But I still believe that keeping your brain active improves the quality of your life.

This is true, to use the brain and have fun with word play, and exercising new areas of study and learning to broaden the firing of our wonderful electric minds!

But the skull is its habitat and the fatty brain needs a very thoughtful diet to give thoughtful replies back.

Esteemed Contributor

Same with my mother. She did those nationwide crossword puzzle contests almost 24/7. She had a dictionary and a thesaurus on her kitchen table in lieu of a bowl of fruit. LOL She began showing signs of Alzheimer's in her early 70's and passed at 83. So darned sad.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Some people recommend the website Lumosity.com for brain exercise and memory training.