Honored Contributor

Look at the weird ASP PUSS CATERPILLARS we have on trees here... they sting!!!

The larvae of the southern flannel moth hides a series of venomous spines under it soft hairs. Image courtesy B. Drees.

http://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/others/ent-3010/

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Re: Look at the weird ASP PUSS CATERPILLARS we have on trees here... they sting!!!

Okay, Loves, I am completely freaked out now and wondering why I opened this up! The title and name of the little critters should have given me the fair warning I needed! I've never seen a caterpillar like these before!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Super Contributor

Re: Look at the weird ASP PUSS CATERPILLARS we have on trees here... they sting!!!

OMG!

Respected Contributor

Totally gross.

Honored Contributor

Apparently, a student at our school leaned up against a tree and these caterpillars like the bark of trees. The student ended up in the ER ... the little hairs are quite toxic and can cause some major health concerns if someone brushes up against them.

This information was sent out today from the school nurse!!! Isn't this just weird? and scary!

glmama... me too!!!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~