Esteemed Contributor

What A month I have had since back surgery

Back and forth from hospitals and rehab/convalescent. I had a very high white count and went back to the hospital. More IV's. I was home but one night I couldn't move my leg. Son came and helped me move from bed to restroom and back. After the 3rd day of pain I couldn't take it any longer and called 911. I went to the emergency and stayed in the hospital a few days before moved to rehab where I thought I was doing pretty good. I have only been home a few days this week. I haven't been doing much of anything just hobbling along.

Honored Contributor

Re: What A month I have had since back surgery

Bless your heart, please try to relax and take the time you'll need to heal properly. It takes time to get well again... take care.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Take care of yourself. It sounds very scarey! I wish you a full recovery.

I know there were people asking about you. Glad to hear from you!!!

Super Contributor

I hope you continue to improve, halfpint.

Trusted Contributor

Back surgery is no picnic! Sorry you've had some problems and setbacks; hope you're now on the road to recovery. Take your time, be patient, and work with the physical therapists to get your strength and abilities back.

Keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

Halfpint . . . been there, and still recuperating over a year later. Sometimes it works more quickly than that, and I wish that for you. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

You have had a very bad week or two. I hope you will be feeling well in a short time.

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 halfpint said:

Back and forth from hospitals and rehab/convalescent. I had a very high white count and went back to the hospital. More IV's. I was home but one night I couldn't move my leg. Son came and helped me move from bed to restroom and back. After the 3rd day of pain I couldn't take it any longer and called 911. I went to the emergency and stayed in the hospital a few days before moved to rehab where I thought I was doing pretty good. I have only been home a few days this week. I haven't been doing much of anything just hobbling along.

I hope your surgery went well for you and your prognosis is full of optimism. Not many things I've had are as incapacitating as the 3 ruptured spinal discs I have endured over the years. Sure hope things start getting better for you soon and you are doing much more than just "hobbling along".

Back surgeries are much different now than when I had my open back surgery to remove the ruptured L-5/S-1 discs. I was in the hospital for over 2 weeks before they would even do the surgery. Remember a thing called "traction"? Had to stay in bed with this on me except when they would take me to PT, which consisted of a machine that pretty much looked like something many would consider a "torture machine".

It basically looked like something that a short person would think might make them taller. Feet held in place while a motorized sled on this machine pulled you upwards towards the top. Went through this for most of the 2 weeks and then they did a "myelogram", which was not the most fun thing I have had done over the decades.

Finally decided to do surgery on a Monday and I went home on a Friday. Basically it was 3 weeks in the hospital and from there I did nothing but walk around the floor plan of my apartment building on the top floor. Was ordered not to go down steps until after I got the stitches taken out of the very looooong scar.

Had the surgery in June, spent my birthday in the hospital. I started playing hockey again in December, but there was a lot of rehab in between those months. Finally was able to start running again in mid July, but only sprints, not long slow jogs.

Sending you our best to get over this hump you are now enduring.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all your good wishes. My back doesn't hurt but one of my knees does. I had what is called a lemonectomy-sp.concentric bulging and to remove boney arthritic material. My son got me Ensure to drink. Don't feel like eating much but ate good at the hospitals maybe because I didn't have to cook the food.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all your good wishes. My back doesn't hurt but one of my knees does. I had what is called a lemonectomy-sp.concentric bulging and to remove boney arthritic material. My son got me Ensure to drink. Don't feel like eating much but ate good at the hospitals maybe because I didn't have to cook the food.