Honored Contributor

Had Appointment With Family Doctor.... Asked For Flu Shot....No Flu Shots!

Anyone know what is going on?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had Appointment With Family Doctor.... Asked For Flu Shot....No Flu Shots!

I had mine Monday at Walgreen's, they had a bunch and covered 100 % by my insurance so no co-pay getting it there. I live in South Texas.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I remember my mom saying something about our doctor not doing them in office anymore. I think it is because they are giving it to pharmacies now. Try your local pharmacy. They will take your insurance and most walgreens and c v s do this.
Honored Contributor

When I asked my Dr. she seemed very ""closed mouth"" about it like she would rather not talk about it. Almost angry.... but not at me type of thing. I will be close to a Walgreens tomorrow so I will see if I can get one then. Thanks for your responses!

Super Contributor

GIRLS Im here in Dallas and sent maid out in gloves to stock up on ANTIBACTIRAL ITEMS

am not accepting any visits until this devola is contained. My cleaning girl was embaressed as she drove out onto the street wearing a mask so she cannot i trust come back with it.

Had my shot early . Girl if it airborn were in a mess. GIRLS CALL YOUR LOCAL STORES AND DO get those shots at 81 i have been on them for 16 years.

Super Contributor

Target was asking people in the store the other day to take a flu shot at $15.........that is without insurance I think. One of our local hospitals usually gives free shots the last week of the month for one day.......

Honored Contributor

Interesting. When you call in to my PCP office or my Pediatricians office, the FIRST thing you hear is a recorded message that says (at both);

"Due to a National Shortage on the flu vaccine, we will not be offering shots until November. We will update this as information becomes available".

Yeah, whatever. I am so sick of hysteria BS when it comes to this as it happens every year. Meanwhile, I can pop into CVS or Giant and get one, no problem.

*shakes head in disgust*

Honored Contributor

I live in southern WV, and over the last few years I have heard of family practice physicians getting away from dispensing flu shots. This is mainly due to there being many other options for their patients to get a flu shot, some of them for free. The hospital I retired from offers free flu shots in October; this campaign runs for a week, starting at 6 a.m. The hospital also offered free flu shots at the local fall festivals, and even send nurses to several local churches to do free shots for their fall fests, along with setting up flu shot clinics with several local businesses, for the convenience of their employees. This is inaddition to the availability of shots through Kroger and other pharmacies, the county health department, the VA mobile clinic, and other clinics in the area. Before I retired, I was aware of the hospital designating 6000 doses of their annual flu vaccine order just for the free open campaign to the public.
Respected Contributor

On 10/16/2014 RedTop said: I live in southern WV, and over the last few years I have heard of family practice physicians getting away from dispensing flu shots. This is mainly due to there being many other options for their patients to get a flu shot, some of them for free. The hospital I retired from offers free flu shots in October; this campaign runs for a week, starting at 6 a.m. The hospital also offered free flu shots at the local fall festivals, and even send nurses to several local churches to do free shots for their fall fests, along with setting up flu shot clinics with several local businesses, for the convenience of their employees. This is inaddition to the availability of shots through Kroger and other pharmacies, the county health department, the VA mobile clinic, and other clinics in the area. Before I retired, I was aware of the hospital designating 6000 doses of their annual flu vaccine order just for the free open campaign to the public.
Hi Redtop! I also live in WV just in the north central part. Nice to hear someone from WV. I agree with your posts. I am a nurse and I think docs office are just letting people get them other places like pharmacies. It's much easier and they don't have people calling their office worried about it. There are places to get them. One place is just as okay as the other I think. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I just called Walgreens and they said they had one box left of the preservative free (which I have to have). I asked her if it would still be there tomorrow. She said she couldn't guarantee it and that I would probably have a bit of a wait as this is cough and cold season and they are extremely busy. I sure don't want to wait in a little cramped space with people coughing all over me ... I guess I will just try to be there at 8:00 am and hope for the best. I don't know if it would be any better at a hospital? There is Target on down the road. Thanks again....At least I have a few options...I hope!

I edited this to add that I was a little surprised they hadn't given them at the nursing home my dad is in. I talked to his nurse practitioner and she thought it would be around the 1st of November. No one seems to think we need to be in a hurry evidently.