Respected Contributor

Bactrim: beware of this antibiotic because

after only four days on it, my kidneys were shutting down and I had to go to the ER and then was admitted into the hospital for 24 hours.

So, be very careful if your dr. prescribes this med. Have dr. order a kidney function blood test at a lab after you have been on the med. for about 3-4 days.

I am doing much better now and the kidneys are improving, thanks to the care I received in the hosp. and stopping the Bactrim.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bactrim: beware of this antibiotic because

I have heard of this happening. I also know a kidney transplant patient who attributed prescribed Bactrim as the reason for her transplant.

I take Bactrim every other day as part of my drug protocol for my lung transplant. I also drink a lot of water too.

Take care yourself - I hope you recover soon.

Honored Contributor

I had this same problem with Levoquin....it shut them down in 2 days. It took couple of days after stopping the meds for them to return to normal but they did.

Trusted Contributor

I can't take Bactrim or any other Sulfa drugs but that certainly doesn't mean everyone will have the same reaction. I had a life threatening reaction to Floxin.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

What is this? Is this a typical antibiotic or a special use kind? I've never heard of it…is it one of the ""cillin"" antibiotics under a brand name?

Trusted Contributor

How scary! Glad you are doing better. Thanks for sharing your story so others are aware.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/11/2014 ical said:

What is this? Is this a typical antibiotic or a special use kind? I've never heard of it…is it one of the ""cillin"" antibiotics under a brand name?

It's a Sulfa Drug and is commonly prescribed for UTIs.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 10/11/2014 adelle38 said:
On 10/11/2014 ical said:

It's a Sulfa Drug and is commonly prescribed for UTIs.

Thank you.

And thank you OP for posting this information! I hope you gain full health!

Honored Contributor

Also used for kids ear infections, my daughter was once on it for 4 months due to chronic ear infections as a child. It looks like Pepto, bubble gum pink.

Contributor

If your kidney functions is impaired or your older adult, dosing should be based on your creatine clearance (kidney function), this goes for most medications!!