Trusted Contributor

Has anyone done the Atkins diet?

Years ago I tried it, and it made me ill. But back then it was very strict - no carbs at all in the first phase. Now I've read you are given a daily allowance, and can eat certain vegetables. Has anyone tried it lately? Did it work? How did you feel? What did you eat?
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone done the Atkins diet?

Yes, and I lost weight but put it back on when I started back on Carbs. I ate meat, butter, nuts, I did eat some veggies as I recall. The thing that has worked the very best for me, and I have lost 33 pounds is 5 or more servings of fruit and veggies per day. I go for the things like green beans, broccoli, and squash because they give me more Fiber and satisfaction then Salad with a lot less calories. Then small portions of meat, granola, etc. I have a double fiber honey wheat English muffin in the AM with Peanut Butter and fruit at Breakfast, and here I am 33 pounds later, have changed the way I eat and I am not hungry or craving things that I should not have. Seriously, I go for the fruit and veggies first and was surprised at how that actually filled me up and it seems I naturally ate less. I do drink water all day.

Trusted Contributor

I did Atkins about 10 years ago and it worked great for my needs. I didn't have a ton of weight as my goal to lose, think it was around 12 lbs after hitting meno, and I found it a pretty easy food plan to follow. I am not a heavy carb eater anyway but it still made dropping those lbs easier. I did not eliminate all fruits and veggies however as I felt if it took a little longer to lose, which it really didn't, that it was worth it to keep some fruits and veggies in my diet. I am not sure if you can still buy them but I had picked up a little booklet at B&N called "carb counter" which listed the carbs in the majority of foods we eat and I tried to avoid the fruits and veggies that were more carb dense which helped I'm sure.

I also added walking, which was the only other real change I made, and in less than 8 weeks, all my intended lbs and more were gone. Think I ended up shedding 20 which was about 8 more than I really needed to or intended to.

Did you use those little strips that measures your protein level in your urine? I know some who felt those strips were helpful while on Atkins as they could assess their protein levels before they became problematic. I am pretty sure they bought them at local drugstores.

Trusted Contributor

I do recall having cut up apples and cheese for breakfast - still like that for breakfast every once in awhile.

Super Contributor

I did Atkins for a few years. Looked great, lost lots of weight. I was weight training at the time too, so I built some nice muscle.

I did the 2 week induction and then just started adding low-starch veggies, testing for ketosis daily. After a while, I just ate as many veggies, esp salads and cooked leafy greens, as I wanted, and that was a lot. The two things that I believe were bad for my health were all the dairy and animals I ate. I did get huge calcium deposits behind my front teeth.

So basically, I was grain-free and sugar-free.

Because of my heart-tugs about eating animals (after raising them, getting closer to the agricultural part of things) I can no longer do Atkins. I don't eat dairy now because I think it's cancer-causing and overall inflammatory, but I am no scientist and don't claim to be. To this day I thank Dr. Atkins because I had a way out of food addiction. The media crucified him every time they invited him to appear, and he never really got his point across because of that. They even lie about how he died. I think he'd have stressed plant-based over time, had he not had the accident that lead to his death.

If I were "doing Atkins" today I'd be eating lots of salads, non-starchy veg, fatty nuts like macademias, and my own chickens' organic eggs. No grains. No high glycemic fruits, only berries. Come to think of it, I do kinda eat this way now, but also eat too many carbs, like asian non-wheat noodles.

Please if you do low-carb, avoid that processed junk they sell like the powders and snack bars. Not good for you! - Bird

New Contributor

Yes, you can call it the Atkins diet or low-card diet. I was lucky to lose 9 pounds in 3 weeks and this is without joining the gym or any other physical activities.

Respected Contributor

Went that route a few years ago and did lose weight. Cravings for some favorite foods led me to trying calorie and portion control. That got me long lasting results, lowering say my skirt size from 14 to 6. In my humble opinion, different diets for different folks.

Honored Contributor

I never felt too comfortable with the Ketone thing, although doctors and dieticians who use Atkins play down the negatives of ketone discharge. I find my own personal body likes LOW carb, no processed foods.
Honored Contributor

Atkins is just one version of a low carb lifestyle, there are several others including South Beach and Stella Style, George Stella sells a bunch of his cook books on QVC.

Atkins is not the only option, but a word to the wise, keep you eating fresh, the bars and the shakes are not real food and can mess up your system a whole lot

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I started the Dukan Diet on Saturday, and I have lost 7 lbs so far. It is similar to Atkins, but I never felt all the protein you can eat, with fats, was very healthy. I am eating huge quanities of vegetables such as broccoli. It has been very motivating and I feel wonderful without feeling deprived. I hope I can maintain this lifestyle of eating.