Esteemed Contributor

I had a minor medical procedure done today and was told that I cannot exercise for 3 weeks:

I cannot bend;

I cannot lift more than 10 pounds;

I cannot do Pilates.

I can walk at a slow pace, no hills or terrain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle this? I will be on vacation next week!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Well, It's tough, not knowing what you had done. I had several "minor medical procedures" before I had my Hyst.

The only thing I can think now is, do you have someone to help you out? Did you plan a lot of walking on your vacation?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

betteb, I had a chalazion (bad stye) removed from my top eyelid this morning. I have a few stitches, 2 or 3.

I lift weights (5-12 pound dumbbells, 35 pound barbell) and do a lot of cardio (walking with weights, hiking, running, Pilates).

All from wearing mascara!

Honored Contributor

sorry HB I wish I had some suggestions for you! I am not able to exercise for 6 weeks due to surgery. It is driving me crazy!! No pilates, no weights, nothing except short walks on flat terrain. Smiley Sad I am goin nuts not exercising but hopefully on Thursday I will get the go ahead to return back to exercising. Just make sure you don't try to sneak and do things you shouldn't. I know in my situation that the Dr. just wanted to make sure the inner stitches didn't break open and no way would I want to risk that! Good luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, HD, you know this is so frustrating.

The thing is, I take a break every 6 weeks or so to let my muscles recover. Now, I'm being told that I can't! And you did 6 weeks?? How?

Also, I didn't think about the fact that my stitches could tear. I definitely don't want that since they are in my eyelid.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:

betteb, I had a chalazion (bad stye) removed from my top eyelid this morning. I have a few stitches, 2 or 3.

I lift weights (5-12 pound dumbbells, 35 pound barbell) and do a lot of cardio (walking with weights, hiking, running, Pilates).

All from wearing mascara!

Oh gosh! Well my advise then is to follow the restrictions.

Hope you have speedy recovery.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Thanks, HD, you know this is so frustrating.

The thing is, I take a break every 6 weeks or so to let my muscles recover. Now, I'm being told that I can't! And you did 6 weeks?? How?

Also, I didn't think about the fact that my stitches could tear. I definitely don't want that since they are in my eyelid.

My 6 weeks will be this Thursday and I am hoping the Dr. says I can get back to it. There really isn't any type of exercise she said I could do safely besides the short, even terrain walks which, as you know, isn't much in the way of exercise for those of us that are use to so much more! I swear I feel my body getting flabbier by the minute. {#emotions_dlg.crying} But honestly, what can we do but abide the doctor's orders and allow our bodies to heal?

There is a silver lining in all this though- if you've been a regular exerciser, which is sounds like you have been, then muscle memory is an awesome thing and you will rebound back pretty quickly from the time off. The body is an amazing thing!

Respected Contributor

You have to follow doctor's orders, no exceptions, or you could have a complication that means even more down time. The time will pass quickly, and you'll be back to your normal schedule.

Super Contributor

I agree, you have to follow your doctor's orders. Just take it easy on your vacation. In the future, it might be wise to put off even minor procedures until after you return from vacation.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you all are very correct. I have to follow his orders and just chill.

Thanks for the dose of common sense and HD thanks for the support. I want this recovery to go as seamless as possible.