Trusted Contributor

Tenderness & Stiffness in Healing Broken Toe

I broke my small toe in May. I was in a boot for 7 weeks and just finished a few weeks of PT. I am walking for exercise again and am on the road to recovery (they tell me).

However, my toe is swollen most of the time, enough that I had to buy wide athletic shoes and can't fit comfortably in most of my "B" width shoes right now. All the doctors tell me that it takes from 6 mos to a year to fully heal a broken bone in the foot.

I do feel stiffness at times in the toe and it can get tender and achy. The forecast for this weekend is a lot of rain, and I wonder if that brings on the stiffness and discomfort. Has anyone had a broken toe before and some of these same issues?

Mine was minimally displaced, but still was a bad break.

I appreciate any shared stories.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tenderness & Stiffness in Healing Broken Toe

I have broken my big toe, and even though it has been about three years, I still have aches at times. Mine is not bothersome, to the point of really painful. Take it easy, and be sure to wear a comfortable shoe.
Honored Contributor

Whenever I have sprains or for any ache/pain anywhere, I rub SportsGel into the area. Years ago, I either sprained or fractured my ankle, never went to the Doctor, but had to pull my crutches out of storage and use them for a week. The pain the night of the accident was excruciating, so finally I decided it couldn't hurt to use SportsGel, and it relieved the pain and throbbing sufficiently that I was finally able to sleep. I followed this routine again when DD sprained her ankle. It took a long time for my ankle to stop hurting, and every now and then, it gives out on me, but I forge ahead. I buy it at Vitacost, $7.+ a tube, but it lasts a long time.

Super Contributor

I broke the toe next to my pinkie when I was 9. Even then it took quite awhile to heal. I still get twinges with the weather changes and if someone grabs the knuckle Smiley Surprised 99.9% of the time it's fine though. So yes your situation sounds normal
Trusted Contributor

Tissyanne... Did your swelling eventually go down and you could fit into your regular shoes again? I don't wear high heels anymore... just a lot of Clarks, Aerosoles, Easy Spirit... I get nervous that it will never go back to normal size. It's not painful, per se, just annoying. I do all the PT exercises at home now, but not as flexible as I would like my foot to be. That darn boot really plays havoc with your foot, even though it's important to wear one early on.

I'm almost at 6 months, but wish I could see more improvement. All I can wear are comfortable Clark sandals and tennis shoes.

Thank you for your input.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/26/2014 mousiegirl said:

Whenever I have sprains or for any ache/pain anywhere, I rub SportsGel into the area. Years ago, I either sprained or fractured my ankle, never went to the Doctor, but had to pull my crutches out of storage and use them for a week. The pain the night of the accident was excruciating, so finally I decided it couldn't hurt to use SportsGel, and it relieved the pain and throbbing sufficiently that I was finally able to sleep. I followed this routine again when DD sprained her ankle. It took a long time for my ankle to stop hurting, and every now and then, it gives out on me, but I forge ahead. I buy it at Vitacost, $7.+ a tube, but it lasts a long time.

Thanks Mousegirl... I'll look into the Sports Gel product.

I appreciate all your comments. It helps to know that a break does get better in time.

Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

Tissyanne... Did your swelling eventually go down and you could fit into your regular shoes again? I don't wear high heels anymore... just a lot of Clarks, Aerosoles, Easy Spirit... I get nervous that it will never go back to normal size. It's not painful, per se, just annoying. I do all the PT exercises at home now, but not as flexible as I would like my foot to be. That darn boot really plays havoc with your foot, even though it's important to wear one early on.

I'm almost at 6 months, but wish I could see more improvement. All I can wear are comfortable Clark sandals and tennis shoes.

Thank you for your input.

I have not experienced any swelling for quite some time, and can now wear my regular shoes. Mine took the better part of two years. I went to the doctor immediately, and started wearing a special velcro shoe from a prescription. I was able to wear a Birki clog eventually, after about 8 months. I tòok Tramadol when I first broke my toe. My very best to you, and I do think you will see improvement. I did not do any PT. I actually kept mine as immobile as possible.
Respected Contributor

I broke two toes a couple of weeks ago. Same two toes I broke 20 years ago. It was much worse when I broke the bone on the side of my foot and had to wear the boot. My toes I just tape together. I can't ever bend them but it gets better before you know it.

Honored Contributor

I have broken the pinkie toe on both feet several times. No PT not boot, just let it heal, and yes it does hurt of a long long time

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I've broken both big toes several times and if you think a "pinkie break" is bad? I've had my right one broke twice and I did nothing but let it heal. Ice/ice and more ice any time I sat down even if for 10 minutes. I wore my same shoes/no PT and not quitting skating or running. They were really tender putting them into a hockey skate as these skates are not made for comfort even with an intact foot and toes.

The Big Toes? Unless you have broken these you do not realize how much of your body depends on them for balance. Same treatment as the little toes, but I did wear open toe sandals when no doing my job which was standing all day and wearing steel toed shoes that were required for my jobs. Again, ice, ice and more ice. Anti-inflammatory meds if you can take them, and then? Ice, ice, ice and more ice.

Again with the big toes I did not quit running or skating. I did however change up my foot plant when running and also my skating style during the worst part of the recovery period. All these toes were tender putting them into a hockey skate for years. Pain? Nah! But I knew they had been injured at one time, that's for sure.

hckynut(john)