Esteemed Contributor

A delicate matter. Before my operation like 10 days I had trouble. When in the hospital they gave me pills. Went ok, still pills when out at home but not much. My stomach isn't bothering me but I know this can't be natural. What can I eat that would guarantee a good one? fruit at lunch today. Sorry if insensitive.

Super Contributor

Ask your doctor about Probiotics.

Esteemed Contributor

I suffered a bout of it due to thyroid issues. Posters here were a tremendous help.

You have to find what works for you. Which can be difficult. Entire bottle of Miralax did nothing. Some suggested oatmeal, flax, etc.

I also found that too much fiber can backfire and you're worse off than before!

Two very small apples work for me. One as a late morning snack and one in the afternoon.

I take my Lessman Maximum Omega 3's in the evening with coffee. Helps things move well. Wink

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you are taking too many pain pills - they slow down the digestive process and you get constipated. take a laxative like Milk of magnesia and ask the doctor to give you something different for pain that is non narcotic. If the MOM doesn't work - you will need to call the doctor and ask him what he likes you to take. It is almost always from the pain pills.This Is a serious problem though and MUST BE ADDRESSED.

Trusted Contributor

Have you been taking prescription pain medication? This is common after surgery and can be a cause of major constipation issues. I'd suggest you talk with your surgeon's office; I can guarantee his nurse fields these questions many times a day and can recommend or call in something to help if necessary.

Generally, you want to drink plenty of fluids, eat fruits and fiber, take a stool softener like Colace, and if things don't move along on their own, you might try Milk of Magnesia. But I'd suggest you talk to your surgeon's office for specific help and recommendations.

Respected Contributor
All I can say is......""TRISCUTS"" crackers!!!!!! Eat several everyday!!!! They work......just the plain ones. They have lots of fiber.
Honored Contributor

You can also try Natural Calm, and it might help even more if you drink it hot.

I think dried apricots work well. You might want to ask about a stool softener also, for when things start moving.

Trusted Contributor
I understand your problem! I take narcotics daily due to chronic pain from neck issues. A serious side effect is constipation. The solutions of stool softeners and over the counter products don't really do the trick for me. The only thing that has worked is Milk of Magnesia, because it softens as well as moves things along - you need both! Lately I've found, without even intending for it to happen, that popcorn helps! No kidding! I've been addicted to Smart Food - a cheddar popcorn - lately, and the happy side effect has enabled me to be a bit more regular. I also try to eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
Honored Contributor

Please ask your physician(s) and others who know your specific situation.

Otherwise, you'll be applying random remedies to a symptom rather than a cause (or causes), and the remedies might not be appropriate to your own, individual needs, and might even create more problems.

I hope you're healing well from your surgery and the complications you wrote about in another thread. Take good care of yourself, halfpint.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

A proper balanced diet of veggies, fruit, grains and a protein plus a reasonable amount of exercise! That should do it. The probiotics in addition under medical care is also good advice. Hope you are feeling better! {#emotions_dlg.wub}