Valued Contributor

can anyone recommend a good probiotics?

There are so many! My daughter is a teacher for head start and is always getting sick, from the kids who come in sick, with colds etc... the dr prescribes antibiotics , I know it isnt good for you to be taking so many antibiotics, I'm thinking she shoud be taking a good probiotic.
Super Contributor

Re: can anyone recommend a good probiotics?

If you go online to riteaid.com they have a really good generic one they themselves put out. It has 10 billion bacteria and comes in a lighter green box. Really nice.

Valued Contributor

On 9/25/2014 WillEscapeCAsoon said:

If you go online to riteaid.com they have a really good generic one they themselves put out. It has 10 billion bacteria and comes in a lighter green box. Really nice.

thanks I'll check it out!
Super Contributor

If you are sick with a virus, or even during a potential chance of having a virus, you should not take probiotics.

This is a fact. To do so will cause the virus to thrive. Please don't dispute this until you have searched.

Valued Contributor

On 9/25/2014 ical said:

If you are sick with a virus, or even during a potential chance of having a virus, you should not take probiotics.

This is a fact. To do so will cause the virus to thrive. Please don't dispute this until you have searched.

I didn't know that! Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Irishgrl312 recommended Ohhira's probiotics to me over a year ago and these are the BEST ever. Both my husband and I have really benefited from it in a variety of ways.

Probiotics also help keep you from getting sick as often and although we don't get sick much, we've both noticed that when everyone else around us gets sick, we've been able to avoid succumbing.

Valued Contributor

I'm a daily user of Jarro-Dophilus 3.4 billion. It contains the good bacteria to help the large and small intestine and has six strains, I think. You'll have to keep in the refrigerator though.

It's also available as a powder. I can't remember the last time I had a cold and I believe the probiotics have a lot to do with it. I take about 21 billion each day. I have read that a person should take 10 billion units for probiotics to be effective.

Honored Contributor

I take Florastor. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Costco sells it in a two pack, but the price is actually better in store at Target. When I feel sinus stuff coming on, I will open up a capsule and add it to my neti pot rinse.

I am also a teacher, and I take these products year round:

When I feel something coming on (I am prone to cold sores and sinus/throat issues) then I add these into the mix:

If I know something is going around, I double up on the handwashing and make sure that my hands are protected.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much ! I'll write it all down, good Information!
Trusted Contributor

Two of my physicians including gastroenterologist recommend VSL#3. Costco has a good price on this. Over-the-counter, but needs to be refrigerated so the pharmacist will give to you packaged with ice pack.