Super Contributor

MRI of Breast ? ? help...worried

I had an annual mammogram 10 days ago. I was called back for more images on Tusday. The Mammogram tech showed me a gray spot on one of the updated breast images on the plates . The radiologist then sent me to Ultrasound. The US tech took one series of ultrasounds. She left the room and came back and said the radiologist looked at them requested she take more images. I saw something like 24 different stills on her screen.

This morning my doctor personally called and said we will order a breast MRI. He said something like "there is an irregularity we are not able to correlate and it is at 12: o'clock" in my left breast. He wants this test before a biopsy.

I can't think now and I can't eat!! I have to go out of town and now I am thinking I should cancel but it's a family commitment.

Has anyone ever had this happen? I get my mammo yearly so this showed up between now and last July.

Honored Contributor

Re: MRI of Breast ? ? help...worried

It's good that they want to do the MRI. Maybe they can figure out what exactly it is before subjecting you to a biopsy.

I don't know how long you'll be out of town for, but when can you get in for the MRI? I wouldn't cancel your trip.

I won't even tell you not to worry. I'd be worried too. Hopefully, if it is something, they found it early and can begin treatment.

Honored Contributor

Go out of town and be with family.

Have you scheduled the MRI yet?

Contributor

I agree with brii and lolakimono. Take your trip and enjoy the time with your family. It might take a few weeks to even get the MRI scheduled.

As a breast cancer survivor who has had a biopsy and MRI and surgery and treatment, it is easier said than done to tell you not to worry. So I won't, but I can tell you to be present during your family trip so you don't miss out on memories. You may also want to keep your current situation to yourself or SO until you know more to avoid causing unnecessary worry with your family members.

You have done everything right by keeping up with the screenings. I wish you the best.

Super Contributor

I'm waiting to hear from the imaging center. The doctor had to set it up with them.

My insurance changes on 10/1 so hopefully the MRI will be scheduled for late Monday or Tuesday.

Only going away until Monday.

Contributor

On 9/25/2014 moonstone dunes said:

I'm waiting to hear from the imaging center. The doctor had to set it up with them.

My insurance changes on 10/1 so hopefully the MRI will be scheduled for late Monday or Tuesday.

Only going away until Monday.

I would keep deductibles in mind ... especially if changing insurance is for better coverage on 10/1. No sense in having to meet your deductible twice and MRI's are expensive.

Respected Contributor

Been there, done that and I know exactly what you're going through and how you feel. Try to remember that 80 per cent of lumps turn out to be benign. If it does turn out to be malignant, it will have been found early as you've been diligent in getting your mammograms. Good luck and I sincerely hope you get good news.
Respected Contributor

Moonstone, if it were me, I'd schedule an MRI ASAP so that I could find out exactly what's going on. I wouldn't be able to go socialize being so worried. I think you'll be able to handle whatever they find, if anything. It's not knowing that can send you over the top with worry! HUGS from all of us!!!

Honored Contributor

In some cases an MRI requires pre approval, I would check that out also

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

DP