Honored Contributor

Any input appreciated....visit from a "court appointed" nurse case manager

I have never posted anything this personal before on these boards...We are expecting a visit from a "judge" appointed nurse case manager tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect except my husband's doctors would never even allow them in the examining room. His worker's comp attorney is suggesting that we cooperate with him fully. My husband has had two failed surgeries and lives in 24/7 horrid pain. The past two years our lives have completed turned upside down and he is very frail. Do I subject him to this...he hardly talks and any movement is very difficult for him. Nothing will turn his life around at this point and he is not receiving any financial aide. I don't know whether to cancel this meeting or how to handle it. It is presented as the case manager will determine his level of help and make some kind of determination. Only prayer will help at this point, so I'm not understanding the reason for the visit. I financially support us and am his primary care taker. I appologize for the nature of this post. I've looked on line and only find negative comments about "nurse case workers'"...does anyone have any experience similar to my situation. So much appreciation for any insight.

Super Contributor

Re: Any input appreciated....visit from a ""court appointed"" nurse case manager

You need a lawyer- ASAP
Honored Contributor

Re: Any input appreciated....visit from a ""court appointed"" nurse case manager

Wadzila...that is what I was thinking. Should I just cancel the meeting tomorrow. I'm feeling really uncomfortable about this meeting. thank you for your response...I just don't know where to go with this issue. The meeting is scheduled for 11:00 tomorrow. I think I'll try to get another attorney's input first thing in the morning.

Honored Contributor

It sound like this case manager was appointed by the courts to report back to them what her assessment of his needs are. Why wouldn't you want to cooperate with this ? If appointed by a judge she is impartial and there to give the judge her professional opinion of your DH's needs. You say your lawyer told you to cooperate fully - why don't you trust your own lawyer?

Super Contributor

If this case manager is court-appointed, the choice of canceling is not yours, correct? Your lawyer has advised you to cooperate fully, and I'm assuming that you value his legal advice.

If your lawyer is seasoned in WC, I would guess that he deals with such visits as a matter of routine. Have you discussed your apprehension in depth with him/her? They will be better able to shed some light on the process and exactly what the case manager will be assessing.

From your OP, I inferred that this court appointed visit is required to make a determination on your husband's WC claim. Without it, the claim will not be processed or come to resolution - am I understanding the situation correctly?

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry you and your DH are dealing with his illness.

This sounds like a worker's comp. case and if your husband is hoping for a settlement or other benefits from the insurance, I would cooperate with the nurse. She will witness his fraility and pain level. They need to see and know how bad his health really is.

If there is no benefit to your DH, I'm not sure if I would have the meeting.

If you trust your worker's comp. attorney, follow his instructions.

IHTH

Honored Contributor

First off, I am so sorry about your situation and prayers to you and your husband.

Is the lawyer your lawyer or is it the Worker's Comp company's lawyer? If it's your lawyer, I would listen to him. If you do not have your own lawyer, I would postpone the visit and get yourself a lawyer who can protect your rights, interest and privacy.

If he's your lawyer, then he should be there for the visit to protect your interest and to see exactly what the nurse sees and makes sure this nurse doesn't over step.

I don't like this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

A nurse case worker could recommend that your husband be taken out of your care and be placed in a facility. This could happen no matter what you or your husband's wishes are. I would be very cautious in this situation and seek the advice of another lawyer.

Respected Contributor

" His worker's comp attorney is suggesting that we cooperate with him fully."

So you have representation by an attorney. If I were an attorney, I'd be pretty po'ed at a client who didn't follow my recommendations and was using the internet and polling random forums for advice, instead.

You say you don't understand why the nurse is visiting? So call the attorney's office. The paralegal can probably explain to you (or the attorney, if he's available) what the nurse case worker does, who appointed her and why.

Respected Contributor

Your husband already has an attorney, so follow those instructions.

The role of the nurse case manager in workman's compensation is to do an assessment and determine resources that might be necessary. In the long run, cancelling this appointment and not following through could jeopardize his case. To the court and the workman's compensation company this could make it look like you have something to hide.

Also consider that if this is court appointed, you could possibly be found in contempt of court if you don't follow through with this. Can't say that will happen, but can't say that it won't. I can't imagine the judge will be very happy. But at the very least, it will jeopardize your husband's WC claim.

I know several nurse case manager's that work in workman's compensation cases. The ones I know place the claimant's ability and needs at the top of the list and advocate for the claimant for decisions from the claims' adjustor.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *