Super Contributor

Has anyone had this biopsy? My last several pap tests came up abnormal (slight inflammation). No symptoms at all. The doctor wasn't real worried about it due to having a total hysterectomy over 12 years ago. She said it may be caused by menopause. I'm scheduled for a Colposcopy in a few weeks. Has anyone had abnormal pap tests and is the biopsy painful?

I'm really worried to find out the results. Keep me in your prayers.

Contributor
Hi, shiningstar. I am menopausal and I've had several colposcopies in the last few years. My (now previous) doctor would order them when the Pap smear was inconclusive. The colposcopies always showed normal. After he put me on a med for dryness the paps were easier to read and the colposcopies stopped. I stopped the med about 6 months ago and my new gyn had no trouble reading the Pap I had in August. Go figure. Anyway, I found the colposcopies uncomfortable ( a little more so than a Pap) but not painful. I just kept telling myself it had to be done and to s*ck it up, lol. I hope this helps you.
Honored Contributor
For me, menopause started with a bout of extreme bleeding which resulted in a vaginal ultrasound and a colposcopy, which determined everything was fine internally. I did not think the colposcopy was painful, although I had been encouraged to take an Aleve prior to the procedure. I felt only a slight pinch when the tissue sample was retrieved, but no pain or problems afterwards. My biopsy was clear, and my problem was attributed to a thicker than usual cervical lining at that point in time. Please don't focus on the negative, but focus on taking care of this and moving on with your life. Best wishes to you.
Honored Contributor
You won't even know you've had it. If you have polyps, they clip them off and biopsy them. You will be asleep and won't even know it. It always takes forever to get the results. They are most often non-cancerous.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you are talking about a colonoscopy being painful? I've had 13+ of them and the only ones that had some discomfort were the 3 I had with zero sedation or anesthesia.

For most that have this procedure they wheel you in and next thing you know they are waking you up. Now the prep for it? I am one that has drank well over 15 gallons of Nu/GoLytely, the stuff that "cleans you out". Most think this is the worst part of the procedure. Some Gastro doctors use pills and some other methods for the "cleaning" part. All of my Gastro docs only do the procedure using the gallon of Nu/GoLytely.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Kachina and Hckynut..

A colposcopy is an examine for a woman's cervix.

Trusted Contributor

Yes I've had it done a couple times after abnormal paps - it is a pinch and then maybe some spotting and cramping. Take motrin. After the results came in, I chose to have cryosurgery twice to have the "bad" cells removed. My doctor told me to take plenty of antioxidant vitamins and then in 4 months do another pap. That was more than 5 years ago. Its been normal ever since. You will be fine - just do what you gotta do. GOOD LUCK!

Honored Contributor
On 9/23/2014 moongirl said:

Kachina and Hckynut..

A colposcopy is an examine for a woman's cervix.

moongirl,

Thanks for correcting me. I am so used to seeing and having the word colonoscopy, I certainly misread the title of this thread. I haven't a clue about what transpires in this one.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
On 9/22/2014 kachina624 said: You won't even know you've had it. If you have polyps, they clip them off and biopsy them. You will be asleep and won't even know it. It always takes forever to get the results. They are most often non-cancerous.

You are speaking of a colonoscopy, not a colposcopy.

Super Contributor

I had several exams like this and each time I took 2 Advil with food about an hour before the test. It is a slight pinch and I did say wow but it was nothing I could not stand. Yes I was very anxious and had sweaty hands but was glad it was over in less than a minute and I was back in my car...