Esteemed Contributor

Rough Airplane Landing: Huge Pain Now Where Fusion Occurred

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for like experiences or opinions and, yes, I'm calling my doctor after I write this.

As week ago Friday DD, DGD and I flew into San Jose, CA airport on our way to a family funeral in Santa Cruz. The plane did not make a smooth landing. The landing was a huge thud that immediate caused pain where my fusion at L5-S1 occurred. I have a titanium cage with rods as well.

Since the pain is increasing each day, especially when I awaken in the morning, it's time I get off my duff and see my doc. In the meantime, was wondering if any other back patients out there have experienced the same with a rough landing.

Many thanks in advance!

Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Rough Airplane Landing: Huge Pain Now Where Fusion Occurred

Hi sfnative,

As I've mentioned here I had my L-5/S-1 removed, but no fusion, so I really don't know what to say about your pain. Flying? The only time I will fly is when I go to New York City to see my Rangers NHL team play at The Garden.

How long ago did you have your surgery? All I can suggest is the ice and anti-inflammatory things unless you are one that cannot take these blood thinning pills. My hockey starts a week from Thursday and my Spinal Surgeon is playing again this year. If I remember I will ask him about this and see what his experience has been with this type of surgical procedure.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Sorry, what's an L-5/S-1?

Honored Contributor

On 9/23/2014 ValuSkr said:

They are 2 of the very lower Spinal lumbar discs.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

sfnative, yes, please see your doctor ASAP, since you have a titanium cage, also file a report with the airline. I hope this will be resolved soon for you, and please post back and let us know.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/22/2014 hckynut said:

Hi sfnative,

As I've mentioned here I had my L-5/S-1 removed, but no fusion, so I really don't know what to say about your pain. Flying? The only time I will fly is when I go to New York City to see my Rangers NHL team play at The Garden.

How long ago did you have your surgery? All I can suggest is the ice and anti-inflammatory things unless you are one that cannot take these blood thinning pills. My hockey starts a week from Thursday and my Spinal Surgeon is playing again this year. If I remember I will ask him about this and see what his experience has been with this type of surgical procedure.

My best to you,

Hello John,

Thank you for replying. My problem was not with the flying part of the journey, but with the landing, which was a big thud and was jarring.

Alas, I cannot take NSAIDS, as I did for nearly 13 years for chronic migraine and am now in Stage 3 kidney failure.

You are very kind to ask your physician friend, should you have the opportunity. I finally, after 9 months, got an appointment with my new neurosurgeon to follow-up on this surgery, as we moved last year and it is a workers' comp issue to boot. Will see him some time after mid-October.

Since the pain is getting worse, this appointment can't happen soon enough. Last night the pain awakened me. I'm not looking forward to going to bed tonight and have thought of trying to sleep in my reclyner such as you do. I may end up there tonight.

Thanks again, John.

Regards,

Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/23/2014 ValuSkr said:

ValuSkr,

What I'm referring to are specific vertebrea or back bones. (Vertebrae is the plural for one vertebra or back bone.) These are the 5th lumbar vertebra and the 1st sacral vertebra. Between each 2 vertebrae is a cushing disk. My disk totally herniated in an incident at work, so I had to have surgery to place a cylindrical titantium cage with pieces of bone inside between the two vertebrae, plus stout rods to stabilize the area.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/23/2014 Mama Mia said:

sfnative, yes, please see your doctor ASAP, since you have a titanium cage, also file a report with the airline. I hope this will be resolved soon for you, and please post back and let us know.Smile

mm

Mama Mia,

Thank you for the advice. I cannot get in to see my new neurosurgeon until just after mid-October. However, am contacting my Internist today. Had not thought of getting in touch with the Airline to file a report. Is this reasonable? I hope so.

Rebecca

Occasional Contributor

Contacting the airline is not reasonable. So the pilots had a landing that was a little rough, this happens all the time. The airline owes you nothing. When you bought your ticket did you think maybe the landing wouldn't be perfect?
Occasional Contributor

A good point of reference: were EMT's called after the plane got to the gate? Were other people injured? If not, you will probably get a "sorry, here's 100 dollars for your next flight" email.